Best Blood Pressure Monitor?

Hello everyone! I have been having some recent issues due to a flare and my neurologist is having me take my blood pressure/heart rate readings both laying down and then standing, over the course of the next two weeks. I have a blood pressure cuff that I got from the local CVS Pharmacy awhile back, and it has been pretty good.

The problem I'm having now is that I can get the readings for laying down, but when I stand for a couple of minutes (in the morning) I get super symptomatic and experience pre-syncope, but the blood pressure monitor will keep bringing up an error message so I'm not able to get an accurate reading for what's happening when I feel the worst of my symptoms. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better BP monitor? Maybe one that is more sensitive to sudden changes or weird readings?

Thanks and hope everyone is having a good day!

~Christine

I have an Omron as well but it never works when I'm most symptomatic.

I finally just went and got a manual cuff and stethoscope. They have some cheap ones even at Walmart where the cuff and scope are hooked together. That's the only way I can capture my weird readings- although when I'm really in a bad state it's sometimes hard to concentrate enough to register the numbers in my brain as I hear the sounds come and go.

Hi christine,

If you are one us who's bp/hr swing with change in posture, it is sometimes hard to get it right after you stand, as it is in the process of changing rapidly and the cuffs can't catch it. If you can stand still or lean slightly against something like a high dresser with your cuff arm level with your heart and resting on the top with the machine next to your arm on top as well, it may be easier to get it. You might also have to wait a few minutes for your bp/hr to stabilize before you can get a reading. Of course if you feel like syncope is coming on then lay down as quickly as you can.

Do you know yet if your bp/hr go up or down on standing? If you're dropping you may have to have your doctor document it in a safe place like his office or during a tilt table test. As you can't risk a syncope unsupervised.

I recently ponied up the money and bought the omron bp791lT off of Amazon. The one that has the software on it so you can download the info to your computer. It also has an A & B option so more than one person can use it. I use the A for my supine readings and the B for my standing readings.

I use both. I have a cuff type, but it will occasionally give me a lower systolic than I actually have. I do not know why because it is not all of the time. I prefer the manual for accuracy. I use the cuff for convenience. I prefer the HR watch for the HR. I will also use my oximeter.

To sum it up, I prefer to have both.

I can get a reading faster when I first get up if I use the manual. I do not have to wait the minute +. If I set it up before I stand, I can get it pretty quick. I have wanted to catch the initial drop.