Achalasia In Your Family?

Jan

I was just curious after reading a different post where someone mentioned a family member who has achalasia, if anyone has achalasia, or a close family member with it.

I have POTS and my son has achalasia. I read once about a link between the two. Makes me wonder if there is a hereditary component to his achalasia.

I had to actually look up this term. I don't know if it's the same thing but from starting in kindergarten, I would have nausea all day most days. I would often wake up and immediately throw up. After 2 years of my mother having docs say it was psychosomatic because my parents were divorcing, we found a peds gi that helped me. He explained that the sphincter at the base of my esophagus connecting to my stomach did not close at all when they did an upper gi on me. Further the stomach acid had already eaten a small whole through my esophagus. I was put on Gavascon to protect me from the acid and urecholine to help the sphincter contract properly. I was on the meds for years. I had another bout of it late in high school and again in college. I don't know if it the exact same thing as achalasia because I never heard anyone use that term but it seems similar to the Mayo Clinic description I read about it. It hasn't bothered me in years. I feel for your son....it was definitely no fun.