Cough Medicine?

Becia

I currently am fighting bronchitis, and am coughing my head off. It doesn't help that I had an allergic reaction to the first antibiotic they gave me (near anaphylactic to azithromycin, still trying to recover from that), but I am coughing so bad, and that is setting of some of my syncope issues. They had me on tessalon perles, but are afraid that was part of the reaction, so I'm a bit afraid to take something that hard core.

What do you use for coughing? I've also been using Vicks vapor rub on my chest, warm tea and honey, and the hottest showers I can tolerate. Something has to give, lol...

I'm having a similar problem right now! Sinus infection + bronchitis, with reactions to all the drugs they've tried me on. So frustrating.

For cough, maybe try breathing in steam a lot, not just during showers. I got a little steam inhaler from the pharmacy that I can put menthol pads on, but you can also just put boiling water in a bowl and breathe it in for 10 mins - I think you can add Vicks to it too, it feels so good to breathe in. Also try menthol cough drops. Or spoonfuls of honey, not just in tea - some studies have shown is actually more effective than cough syrup. Sleep propped up as much as you can.

And if it gets really bad, a final idea...ask your doctor for a rescue inhaler. They can cause tachycardia but if you can tolerate it, it'll have way less side effects than a systemic medicine. I have mild asthma and tend to get bronchitis a lot after colds, and using my inhaler ways seems to stop it from getting too bad.

Lol, I've probably gone through about 1/2 cup of honey since yesterday evening eating spoonfuls of it to coat. My doctors are very hesitant to give me an inhaler because my tachy is so nutty sometimes. Just sitting up yesterday shot it to 122, and it wasn't backing down for nada.

I'm planning on trying to take a bubble bath tonight with this spearmint/euclylitus body wash I have. I showered with it and it seemed to help a bit, maybe just enjoying a good soak with it will help too.

Try some herbal tea with honey. Tyler has to be careful with cough syrups because they make his POTS symptoms worse and sometimes increase vocal tics. A short term dosage of prednison (no more than a week) and albutrol works best in this situation for him. Hope you feel better soon.

I have about three bags of chamomile tea left, hoping to pick more up tomorrow. I can't seem to catch a break, but at least after the liters of fluids I got in the er, it's at least a productive cough, not just a dry hack. I am having a very hard time catching my breath, but am not in a position to go back to the doctor right now with transportation. Picking up new antibiotics tomorrow and hoping for the best.

I really feel for you right now, Becia. I, too, am suffering through a cold/bronchitis, after finally getting rid of a lingering cough that stuck around for over a month. So frustrated that I've taken about five steps back, but oh well. That bubble bath sounds SO nice right now... As for cough medicine, I just use OTC Delsym. I know it's not really very powerful or that it will work for everyone, but it works for me, so... whatever. Hoping your antibiotics work for you!