S.o.b. When Talking 10+ Minutes

LTCBL

I don't have any good suggestions, but I used to talk publicly and was also a corporate trainer. I would never be able to talk that much at one time anymore. At my worst, I would start choking after only 2 sentences. Now I can have a normal conversation but I often have to have my legs elevated so enough blood is getting to my heart/lungs. I also have experienced my breathing issues being worsened by meds....beta blockers and topamax. Have you started any new meds in the last 2-3 months?

Yeah, I don't really talk non-stop but working in a coffee shop I talk alot, taking orders, etc. and I do find I get short of breath from talking and it helps to have a cup of water beside me but it's against the rules to have a personal drink out front although certain supervisors allow it, it's better than me having to clear my throat of phlegm every other minute! My voice gets hoarser and the constant throat-clearing drives me nuts. I catch myself mouth-breathing though and I've been reading that this is very bad - I need to start making a conscious effort to nose-breathe.

I found this article just yesterday and he mentions 'excessive talking' affecting breathing negatively:

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/12/27/proper-exercise-breathing.aspx

I also have this too. Sometimes talking is such an effort. I used to find reading to my kids hard (never knew why) and answering their incessant questions (it's so good they are curious, but I found it hard). And if I meet with a friend for a chat I get light headed if I talk a lot.