Chest Pressure Upon Postural Changes

Hi All,

I want to know if anyone else gets theses changes;

Once I have been sat up for a while, I start to feel weird and weirder in my head, so point of the post, when I decide to then stand up,

- I will stand and feel the initial drop of blood pressure in my head and chest, no pressure just feel a bit of a headrush(this has decreased since florinef thank god)

- HR will raise a bit as mine doesnt go to high, sometimes it does though, so about 20 beats maybe.

- A few seconds after this my heart will slow down and i'll get a strong pressure tight feeling in my chest right in the middle/upper as if everything has tightened up.

- Pressure goes after a second its only brief but horrible feeling, then the HR speeds up again

I can only imagine one thing, the ANS has tightened up the vessels it can to compensate for the drop but cannot maintain the pressure as more blood pools so the HR goes up again

This is actually an excellent response from the ANS and it shows it is actually working.

- I will then sit down, and again get the brief horrid pressure in my chest, maybe because the vessels in the upper body are over constricted and sitting forces blood back up which causes a pressure?

- Same when going to laying down

Doing these slower helps but I really hate it, its so horrible!!!

Once I lay down, its as if things dilate and my head comes back and chest doesnt feel tight anymore, it takes a while but its a relief when it does!!

- The horrible head after sitting up a while is in my opinion due to too tight vessels trying to keep the pressure but in fact is reducing the blood flow.

Vitals during this:

Sat: 120/66 HR 70-80, usually 64s but im sitting a little higher now.

Standing: 120/80 Hr 100(bobs up and down 90-100-90-100 etc).

Sitting back down: 130/80 HR comes down to normal, bang, the pressure increases so this show the tightening I explain above.

Sitting after 10 mins: 120/66 un-tightened ;)

I wonder if i'm right, I cant think of any other possible physical reason. :)

I do apologise for these posts :P

Yes! That is almost exactly what happens with me. However, I have less head involvement and when I lay down I have to be propped up on pillows for a while before I can lay totally flat or else my chest feels too tight - it doesn't go away right away.

Have no idea if your hypothesis is right or wrong. All I know is that I stand up and sit down and lie back very slowly, like an elderly person!

I have a bit of chest pressure on exertion, too, like going up and down stairs. I am seeing a cardiologist Monday to get that checked out and plan to discuss the position change chest pressure too.

• 7 years later...

Hi all

i know this is an old thread but this is something I’ve been struggling with for ages now and I get it so badly! It’s so hard to manage it’s an awful sensation and I get it every single time I stand, sit, or bend down! Did you ever find out what it was? I’ve tried to catch it on my BP machine a few times and have recorded some pretty high spikes, sometimes as high as 150/100. I’m so worried about it, which I know is probably not necessary as it’s just the body overcompensating for the BP drop and after a few seconds the BP comes right back down to low bp. Did you ever get anything from a dr on this? 

thanks so much 

Sophie