Twitches And Jerks

Alison

I started having twitches about 3 months ago, about one a day, now I am getting them all the time, sometimes one every couple of minutes. Anyone got any clue why? What it means? I have googled and google talked about low electrolyte levels (dehydration) and low magnesium. I have re-started taking magnesium (I had been forgetting to take it). I have bought some bath salts as I read these can increase your magnesium level in your tissues by 30%. I haven't used them yet as warm baths make me lightheaded, and I won't enjoy a tepid bath.

I'm wondering why I'm getting the twitches now, I've had the rest of my symptoms for years?

Alison, I do not have your answer. I do have this symptom.

For me it waxes and wanes. It can disappear altogether and then come back and be very intense. Even painful. Then it can be anywhere in between.

Yes some deficiencies can cause them. That is not the case with me. Also, anxiety can cause them, but generally those from anxiety is in places I do not get them. Any anxiety does not seam to be a trigger either.

Initially mine were in the lower legs, but began to include the upper arms. Now I also get them in my upper chest muscles. First only on the right, and then on the left.

Oddly, I think that I get them in the lower esophagus. These are pretty uncomfortable, but often are short lived.

The only jerks that I get are in my legs, and only occasional. Usually when I am relaxed, which was also when I had most of the twitching. That is not the case anymore.

I have had a break from them recently, knock on wood.

They have been mentioned to my doctor, but I have received no answer. I believe because they have found nothing that would explain them.

I believe there are more deficiencies other than magnesium that can be a cause. Unfortunately there are quite a few causes, and was a bit frustrated that I could get no explanation. I wish that I had something better to share, other than I get them to.

I only started having myoclonic jerks when my pots symptoms developed. I have them once in while...not enough to be a bother but enough for me to know that it is somehow related to one of things that is wrong with me. I also have what sounds lime a fluttering in my ear and it feels like the kind of twitch you get in your eyelid. I was told originally it was nothing and that some people have this just like the eye twitch. But now that my upright mri is showing cervical spine instability, they are saying it may be palatial clonus caused by compression of my spinal cord. I don't have a good answer as to why but I know that in the last 3 years on this forum, I have seen this topic come up on several occasions.

Do you take many cough, cold, or antihistmines medications? I have read that an anti-cholinergic response can cause tremors. I have been looking into this because my son takes Zertic and Singular. These medications can cause this problem.. These medications can block the choline receptors and can cause a choline defiency. I don't know if this is what is causing my son's problem with tremors but I am going to talk to the doctor and find out if I can get him tested for a Choline defiency. Choline is water soulable and a micronutrient. It is usually found in with a B complex vitamin. Males age 14 and older need 550mg.

I have thought about taking my son off these medication and see what happens. However, my son has a high histamine levels and I do not want to make this situation worse. I will be talking to his doctor and see if he thinks this might be part of the problem.

The jerking and twitches started in 2007 when my nervous system went haywire and I was hospitalised 7 to A&E and admitted twice. I was jerking day and night, some light finger flicking and full blown body and limb jerking. It eventually abated and went back to near normal as my body relaxed and the meds helped.

Calming the nervous system is essential. My eyes twitch sometimes when I'm tired or need a magnesium boost. I use an ancient minerals magnesium spray on the soles of my feet in bed at night to boost the levels even further and help with cramping. I sometimes use Epsom salts in the bath and always make sure the bath isn't too warm.

If overdoing it is related to the twitching it is strange that it is coming out now for me when I have recently stopped working, and am now doing less, and am presumably less stressed, my job was a bit stressful. I'm still quite busy being a mum, but have more time to be a mum and take care of myself.

Sometimes the illness can be stressful, I know it is for me. I've had shaking and twitching since a few months after change in medications, we originally thought was a side effect of the Paxil I was on, and most of it is, but I still have tremors and the occasional muscle spasm twitch. If I'm really triggered, they are bad. In used to have to sleep with my hands under the pillow with my head firmly on them to keep them from being bad at night.

I was in the hospital the yesterday with uncontrollable shakes that got worse when I stood or tried to move. I could not walk or use my hands because of them. I am also on Paxil and I though maybe my tremors were worse on it, so I tried to stop. That led to shaking and spasms that lasted an entire day. They gave me Librium, (related to Valium) and it has stopped the shaking, but now I am concerned about being on a Benzodiazapine. What will happen when I try to stop that? Sigh....

@ Katybug. I also have a fluttering in my ear, but only in response to certain sounds. It has a name: Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome.