Water

Hi,

You are dealing with a truism when it comes to the info about fluid intake because it is a dynamic statistic. It is interdepent on many other things for example - your diet , actvity level , fluid loss ,sodium/salt intake , bp/hr, etc. There are several mitigating factors, but in general you can drink to much fluid in a sitting. When this happens you become hyperhydrated and will experience many of the same symptoms of dehydration - such as headache , nausea , dizziness , fatigue, etc. Over a longer period of time ,say, 24 - 48 hrs ; You will begin to experience vitamin and mineral wash. The higher volume of fluid will literally wash essential vitamins &minerals from your body through your urine. If you increase your fluid intake beyond the RDA of 8-12 cups / day be sure to eat a balanced diet relative to the increase. The diet should be vit/min rich (live foods) , but also high in fibres - both soluble & in soluble so to maintain the effectiveness of the increase of fluid. By doing this you will allow your bodies systems to work more effieciently and not just over -burden your kidneys.

Slainte' Kite 7

Yes you can absolutely drink too much water... I ended up in the hospital from doing it. People with dysautonomia have to be especially careful b/c plain water flushes your system out and with it can flush your electrolites as well...then it becomes a vicious cycle of drinking to fill the void and then flushing what you need.

It can be dangerous....

I have learned to only drink water with electrolite solution in it such as electromix, and take salt tablets on a regular basis... As well as watch the amount of fluid I take in.

Its amazing that drinking too much can be as bad at times as drinking too little..so I think there has to be a balance, and I think we all have different needs when it comes to liquid intake.... I hope this helps some :)

It is possible. We should probably all be having our 24 hour sodium done every depending on our situation. There is an amount we should excrete in 24 hrs and also sodium should be I think 177 But chevk the info. thread and it gives the numbers there. If you are thursty you aren't drinking too much. Ask your doctor.

what is best for you. Miriam :)

Guest GayleP

You can absolutely drink too much water. I found out I was when I went to Mayo. We are told to drink a lot but too much will throw everything off.

It is possible.  We should probably all be having our 24 hour sodium done every depending on our situation.  There is an amount we should excrete in 24 hrs and also sodium should be I think 177 But chevk the info. thread and it gives the numbers there.  If you are thursty you aren't drinking too much.  Ask your doctor.

what is best for you.  Miriam B)

Miriam,

i wold love to talk to you about fitness and POTS. If you don't mind, please e-mail me at bblovedd@verizon.net

I would really love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Diane

I just wanted to add that many times from overdrinking and flushing so many electrolites out of you, you can actually alter your Vassopressin Level in your pituitary.. This is the antidiretic hormone that controls your thrist mechanism and is able to tell you whether you are adequately hydrated.

It could give you symptoms similar to Diabetes Insipidus.

I agree a 24 hour urine sodium test is important and also to have your electolites checked regularly....