Nsaid's And Beta Blockers

LittleOne

When I picked up my first prescription of beta blockers the pharmacist advised me not to take NSAID's.

I also have endometriosis and during my period the only partial relief is an NSAID and co-codamol combo. I can't take anything stronger as it would knock me for six and I can't afford time off work each month for 'women's issues' and being high as a kite!

I will ask a Dr opinion tomorrow but does anyone take both beta blockers and NSAID's with no ill effects? I know the interaction is reducing the bp lowering effects of the bb's but does anyone experience worsening pots syptoms with NSAID's?

Interesting. I've been on both for several years and no one, pharmacists nor any of my many physicians, has ever commented on it being a concern.

That's an interesting bit of info your pharmacist passed on to you though. I hope I can remember it (stupid brain fog. :rolleyes: )

I already tend toward low BP, so have been on a combo of Midodrine and BB for my POTS symptoms. Don't remember having to add any more midodrine to my dose when I added in the NSAID on a regular basis though.

NSAIDs decrease the beta blockers ability to reduce blood pressure. So if you're not using the beta blocker for this purpose, it's fine to take them together in my opinion. I take them together as I am on the beta blocker to lower my heart rate, not my bp. I've never had any problems with this or had any doctor tell me not to combine them.

I don't have high BP with my POTS, so that's not one of my symptoms. But, no I don't have worse POTS symptoms that I've noticed with NSAIDS.

In your case, if you are taking the NSAIDs for pain related to your period, it might be hard to differentiate what increased POTS symptoms you are getting from that and what would be med related, since women tend to be more symptomatic around their periods anyway.

Unfortunately like everything else, it's probably going to be a personal trial and error since we're all different and nobody can predict how your body will react to any combination of meds....at this point anyway. :unsure:

I have never heard of an NSAID and beta-blocker interaction. I cannot take NSAIDS because I am on fludrocortisone, but if I wasn't I would be able to take them. I totally understand the need for pain med for "feminine issues" as I have PCOS, which can lead to extremely painful cycles. Right now, I use Tylenol, but I need to find another option because Tylenol is bad for your liver. Hope this helps :)

Stefanie