Is Pots Fatal?

I was always told "it's not fatal, but sometimes the problems can be," by my old doctor. He was really trying to drive home the hydration and salt issue with me when he said that. I know if you're dehydrated or not drinking, you can have problems.

I struggle everyday wondering this question, but sometimes just jumping inboard here and reading how others are dealing with their issues, and therapies I can research and request, can help. Just knowing I'm not alone in this helps.

Iheartfrogs217 (does that mean that you love frogs?), I have never heard or read of POTS in it's purest sense being fatal.

Some forms of dysautonomia can lead to more serious problems.

I think that you can and should relax, and not get too concerned about that.

Listen to your doctors. Make sure they know of any changes, like with medications etc., and you should expect to be just fine.

It might feel like the end of the world, but it isn't.

As far as heart palpitations, I definitely understand the anxiety they cause. I have experienced these since my 20's, now in my 40's. While I shrug them off more frequently than I used to, knowing mine are benign and at this point being quite accustomed to them, I know it can be scary. I think an important thing to do is to have a full evaluation to be reassured that the palpitations are benign (actually a lot of people, esp women, experience benign heart palpitations, even if they do not have POTS).

For me, staying hydrated and well-rested and eating foods rich in potassium help keep the palpitations minimized. But even so, I can have days of flare ups with them for seemingly no clear trigger. For me hormonal fluctuations play a role too.

I think in most cases it isn't fatal, but in extreme cases I believe there can be issues. My heart has been going haywire since before 2004 and I'm still here. I try not to overdo the moving around (I won't consider exercise as such). When my heart goes mad, I really relax through meditation and it really helps. My heart is my biggest concern and I am doing all I can with the water/salt/low carb diet etc to help myself.