Spirometry Test Disaster

TCP

I went for a Spirometry Test today and it didn't go well. The two health professionals weren't very pleasant to work with and the pressure was on all of the time, even though I explained that I was feeling extremely dizzy and my nervous system was buzzing. I didn't do very well and after repeated testing got more and more breathless. I felt dreadful and finally I said to stop as I was getting weaker and weaker. I explained that I had autonomic neuropathy but it made no difference.

I was so weak and giddy when I stood up but there wasn't much understanding or help, the guy was more concerned that I didn't knock his table!

Has anyone else met this wall of indifference? I am noticing every medical professional is clueless about autonomic and peripheral neuropathy and POTS.

I am so sorry that you had to experience that! This is always a concern with explaining the problem to other providers. My pulmonologist refuses to do a spirometry on me unless I am having a lot of issues with my asthma because it can trigger the autonomic nervous system. However, they had to fight for that because its standard of care, and protocol, for asthmatics to get lung function tests annually.

I have oddly enough experienced the wall of indifference you are talking of with my original neurologist. Basically, when my EEG came back normal, he decided that I must be crazy, and even refused to give me my results of the test (it was my primary that had to tell me all of this). I think a lot of people have experienced this, but I'll let other weigh in on it.

I hope that you feel better soon\

fainting goatt

I'm laughing, because the last time I went to a pulmonologist, he was perplexed from my spirometry test too! He had me blow in it, and apparently not much happened. He had me try it again, and same thing. He took the little thing and made sure everything was on correctly, and still nothing much happened. He put his hand over the mouthpiece and blew into it to test, and it seemed to work some. He handed it to my husband and had him blow, and it worked for him. So, what's up with our volume?

My son failed his test and he does not have asthma. I was told he was not trying. This test was done when he was at his worst with POTS symptoms. Tyler was in the hospital and was diagnosied with POTS at the end of this hospital stay. Tyler had passed this test the year before when they were checking to see if he had asthma. POTS does affect your lung functioning. I have read some articles about lung functioning and the vagus nerve. Wish I knew where those articles were at because it explained what was happening. Wish I could be of more help.

Rachel

Thanks everyone. It would appear that it does seem to be an issue. I think we really hope that there is going to be true understanding and acceptance that our condition accounts for what is going on. I got the distinct impression that this pair of robots hadn't got a clue and had no compassion or interest in the struggle I was having and it seemed to irritate them. When I see Dr Ali, I shall tell him about my experience and see what he says.