Glaucoma Link?

TCP

I have Peripheral and Autonomic Neuropathy and POTS. I also have ME. I have just been diagnosed with Intraocular Pressure/Glaucoma and have to be checked out more thoroughly and monitored. My eye pressure is currently 24 in both eyes.

I wondered if this had any link to the nerve damage or the meds I am taking. I am obviously concerned. Anyone else have eye issues? I notice that the pain gets worse in and around my left eye when my bowel is full. My nerve damage is worse down my left side.

• 2 weeks later...

I have dysautonomia and have glaucoma. It is an interesting question you ask. I wish I knew the answer. I have not had testing on co-existing conditions or causes of POTS and OI. I suspect I have small fiber neuropathy. I also suspect ME. Maybe someone else can tie everything together. Have a good day. Liz

Hi Valiz. I wonder if the link we should look at is diabetes and glaucoma? I have the same symptoms of autonomic and peripheral neuropathy like diabetics get and they are also prone to getting glaucoma. The start of all of my health problems was Epstein Barr Virus back in 1984 and that is classed as an auto-immune disorder like diabetes. I know that when my bowel is upset the pain and discomfort in my eyes increases and the ophthalmologist didn't dispute the link between my bowel and eyes. I know many bowel medications you cannot use if you have Glaucoma. Strange isn't it?

How is your glaucoma, is it stable? Yes, we need to have all the links tied together and treated as a whole and not separate symptoms with 5 different doctors.

I diagnosed myself with ME/CFS and then it was confirmed in a clinic. I also diagnosed the AN and PN as the doctors wouldn't say that I had and I told them I had it and now they acknowledge that indeed I do have it. I knew months ago I had glaucoma and have only just had it diagnosed. I think we know our bodies, don't we?

Take care and I wish you well

TC

My eye pressures started out at 25 & 28. He started me on xalantin gtts at bedtime. I was switched several years ago to timoptic gtts but have had to increase it to twice a day. The pressures are stable on the Timoptic...17 I think the last time they were checked. I go every 4 months. My visual fields have been getting worse though. He says the optic nerve test looks ok. I have trouble getting the drops in...they seem to go everywhere but my eyes. lol My finger to nose with eyes shut is bad too.

I take Miralax 2-3 times a day for slow gastric function and like you there seems to be a correlation. You just might be on the right track. Thanks, TCP

Liz

Hi Liz. I'm sorry to hear that your visual fields are getting worse; this seems odd if your pressures and optic nerves are OK. I wonder what is going on there? Have you asked why this could be happening? Good luck with your eyes and treatments, though ;)

My dad finds it hard to get the drops in and I think he squeezes most of them back out.

I don't have my first proper check until the 8th of April even though the higher pressures were noted in November last year. I am pretty shocked how log it will be and I'm hoping we can get another one fixed up sooner.

Take it easy and thanks for the info.

TC