23&me Test Question

looneymom

Has anyone did this test since they have stopped sending the health report. I understand that the raw data is sent to you after the completion of this test. With this information, can you still figure out is going on with the body? I am still thinking about doing this test with my son. Just wondering if the test is still worth spending the money for?

Rachel

Are they still selling the test? If you can get the raw data there are several sites you can load the raw data into that will give you some feedback on various mutations, but it's not a complete analysis- at least at the sites I'm aware of. For example Genetic Genie will give you feedback on the methylation mutations etc. There are several other sites that will do similar things.

As far as I can tell it's still being sold online.

Rachel

I did 23andMe before they had to stop providing the medical information. From my understanding, they no longer provide the medical information at all. They are hoping they will resolve their problems with the FDA, and I assume in that case they would release that information to you as soon as they are able (if ever). If I were you, I'd use a different service just to be safe, or wait for them to get FDA approval for the medical stuff before paying for it. I wouldn't pay $100 just for the ancestry stuff.

There were a couple of other services listed in this article -- maybe try one of those: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/science/i-had-my-dna-picture-taken-with-varying-results.html?_r=0

Hi all, its been a while since I've been here. I did the 23andMe testing several years ago, and have been able to make significant progress in regaining my health due to the things I have learned from my genes and biochemistry. The FDA's issue with 23andMe is that they are providing medical advice in the form of their medical reports and have circumvented the typical approval process for medical devices. 23andMe continues to sell tests and provide the raw data, which many use one of several programs to parse out their genetic data from the raw data and they are now pursuing medical device approval. All of the laboratory processes are performed thorugh an accredited and FDA approved lab, so no worries here.

I have a friend and family memebers who have recently submitted samples. I highly encourage others to consider this test as a tool to learn more about your own biochemistry, as long as you plan to follow up on the data and find a local expert to help sort it all out.

Best wishes,

Lyn

• 6 months later...

They still offer the uninterpreted raw data on SNPs related to health which you can then load to other sites to see any mutations you may have. Many services provide info on any health issues a specific mutation is correlated with. From there, you can look up research articles on specific mutations to decide what to do/think/how seriously to take it.

My favorite service so far has been Promethease. Not only is it inexpensive, it has so many different ways to organize your information. You can organize by how rare/common a mutation is, how many published research articles there on a particular SNP, by disease, by keyword, by the magnitude of the finding, and so on...

It would be interesting to compare with others and see if as a group, we share any uncommon SNP variations. A lot of the time, the researchers know what is the most common base pairing, but they don't know the significance of that particular location in the DNA.

• 3 weeks later...