Flying Tips And A Question

I've never flown as an adult so I'm pretty nervous. Obviously having POTS thrown into the mix is worrying me a bit more. I'm afraid I am going to have a panic attack on the plane. I know I need to hydrate and wear my compression stockings. It will be a 3-4 hour flight. Any other things I need to know?

Can I wear my heart monitor through security and onto the plane or will it cause total mayhem? If not, should I just put it in my bag to check and put it on after I get on the plane? I don't know whether having access to my heart rate will make things better or worse. Thoughts?

Hi Jennifer

There are lots of other discussions on this topic--you could do a search for them.

I think you are on the right track -- hydration is important and compression should help. I have flown several times since my bad bout with POTS (and diagnosis) 10 yrs ago. I have always felt fine on landing (well, my "fine"), even when I flew to Denver which is at 5,000 ft, from sea level (east coast). The cabin is pressurized to an equivalent of 7,000 ft or so. So there is less oxygen. I do notice the effects of this, typically, when flying. But it's not like you have to exercise under these conditions, fortunately! I do think it is important, especially on a flight longer than one hour, to make sure you are moving your legs/body--even getting up and walking if you can. This is important for anyone, but I know (for me) sitting too long can make my POTS symptoms worse.

Not sure about the heart monitor. Do you need to monitor your heart rate constantly? If you do, perhaps check with the airline in advance about it. I doubt it would be a problem though to take it through security. If you are taking it in your carry on bag, it will still go through security of course.

Also keep in mind that wheelchairs are available if needed to get you to your gate. If the walk or wait is long, you might consider that. Again should contact the airline in advance to let them know of your need. Generally a staff person is available to push you, or a family member or friend going thru security as well, could. I did this once. I wasn't happy about it, but I was quite symptomatic and the walk and wait through security was long at a major international airport. The airline was very helpful and accomodating and I didn't feel judged (eg, you don't look sick etc). People can be in wheelchairs for all kinds of reasons, anyway.

I have some trouble with my ears and with motion sickness, but with my Zofran in these circumstances I'm a lot better. Smaller planes fly at lower altitudes. That might help. When I took a flight to D.C. from Huntsville, AL. it was much better getting a business flight out.☺

The best thing I ever did was ask for a wheelchair assist on my recent trips to and from Florida. It made getting through the airport an almost pots free experience. I made sure I had layered my clothing so I could adjust for my hot and cold flashes. I ate right before and also had snacks to keep my blood sugar even and the salt intake up. I checked my bag so I just had a personal item to deal with on the plane. I resigned myself to not jumping up and trying to get off the plane first as you usually have to stand in line in the plane isle for that. I just waited until everyone else was off or there was a big enough gap in the traffic that I could walk right off tothe wheelchair waiting for me on the gangplank.

I’ve done 8 hour flights several times with no problems or consequences. What saved me was carrying a small portable fold up stool for all the queues at the airport. Also, if you’re going with someone, I’d recommend they do everything (get luggage, queue etc.) wherever possible and then join them at the end while you relax somewhere.