Prescription Glasses Exacerbate Chronic Headache?

banana

Hi,

I find that my prescription glasses and sunglasses contribute to my chronic daily headache, which I have had since the onset of my dysautonomia about 2 1/2 years ago. I prefer to wear nonprescription sunglasses (helps with light sensitivity).

I always thought the prescription glasses headache worsening was unrelated to my dysautonomia, but after talking with another POTSie who also finds corrective lens make her head hurt more, I wonder if this is related to a dysfunctional autonomic nervous system, and how? Have any of you experienced this too?

By the way, my prescription was checked and I got new glasses very recently at the Mayo Clinic, and the headache worsening with glasses still persisted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Banana,

My vision seems to change from day to day. Sometimes more often. I just can't wear the multifocals that I need as they often do cause my migraines to break through my meds. I can wear reading glasses to do stuff like read (duh, lol) and work on the computer (but can't spend a lot of time on computer either as it's often a migraine trigger). It's not just the lenses for me either, I have to have really loose glasses -- so loose they fall off my head when I bend. Hubby's head is bigger than mine so I get him to wear my reading glasses for a while to stretch the arms. I do wear sunglasses a lot - whenever I'm outside the house, even inside areas that have bright flouro lighting. The sunglasses (esp. the polarized ones) really help but I do spend a lot of time picking them off the floor because I have to wear them so loose.

blue

• 4 years later...

Hi @banana I know it's a few years since you posted...but on the off-chance that you're still around I wanted to tell you that the lens material could be the problem. Some optometrists, especially the chain stores, will try to upsell you the expensive "thinner" lenses. These are usually made of polycarb. This is usually material 1.59 or 1.6. Their only advantage is that they are thinner and more shatter-proof than standard 1.5 plastic lenses. The downside is they have the worst vision quality out of all lens materials.

Two independent optometrists have now told me that they steer clear of polycarb as it causes issues for lots of people, especially people who are quite sensitive. If I were you, I would go back to where you got the glasses from and ask what the lens material is. Ask for the actual number. If it's 1.59 or 1.6 it is polycarb.  I had terrible headaches with polycarb glasses which the chain store glasses shop basically didn't want to acknowledge. They kept saying it wasn't possible because I had the most expensive, newest technology lenses and so therefore I "didn't give it enough time" but I am what is casually known as a "polycarb non-adapt". No amount of time was going to help me with polycarb lenses, you might be the same.  1.5 plastic lenses are the least expensive and also provide the best vision quality out of all lenses except actual, real glass lenses. 

I can definitely "echo" what Echo said....lens material matters. You can also have issues with the curvature of the lenses. I have to get my lenses flattened and make sure my frames do not have a strong curvature. I can only have plastic lenses or glass and then only the flattest lens. I get awful headaches and nausea from anything else. I also cannot adapt to progressive lenses either.