Treatment For Pots

krystal

Anyone heard about transvascular modulation? This doctor in SoCal is saying that this procedure should help pots if done early on.

" Patients who undergo TVAM for POTS/neurocardiogenic syncope should expect to see a reduction in dizziness, lightheadedness, and blackouts when getting up from a seated position or out of bed.

Increased energy is an especially important benefit for our patients, as fatigue is one of the most debilitating components of this condition. Relief from the common symptoms of Dysautonomia (mentioned above) should also be expected.

While it is yet unclear if POTS/neurocardiogenic syncope is progressive, autonomic dysfunction appears to be progressive. When the ANS can no longer keep the body regulated and in optimal condition, over time damage to various organ systems is inevitable. For this reason, we believe that early intervention is advantageous."

I found an older thread about it here on the forum but I'm not sure what to think about it. The thread is called Mom's fight for diagnosis and treatment changes daughter's life.

What do you think?

I've heard of it. From what I've read it's a controversial treatment. There are papers that argue both it's efficacy and it's failure. I found most of what was able to find by Googling "CCSVI". I don't have an opinion either way as I truly believe that the treatment that works for each of us will depend on the root cause of our problem. I have actually had a CT with contract that was specifically to determine if I have ccsvi and I don't, so I stopped the research upon getting those results. We have had discussions on this forum about it but I don't know the names of the threads but searching ccsvi should bring up some results.

I have also heard of this treatment. My son has POTS and I asked his cardiologist about the treatment a few months back. Our cardiologist said it would only be a temporary solution. I have also read the articles that give pros and cons.

Rachel

Hi krystal,

There are a lot of threads about CCSVI. Be sure that when you search, the grey box no longer says "This Topic". You need to click the grey box and select "Forums" as corina described.

CCSVI is an interesting procedure, but it's highly controversial and from my own exploration there does not seem to be much, if any peer reviewed data about its effectiveness in POTS in particular. If one's POTS is caused by autonomic neuropathy (as in 50% of cases), I don't see how it could be effective.