My Ttt Results

Natops

I wear one of those heart rate watches and believe while I have POTS … It is probably a mild case of POTS compared to the rest of you…. While on my MEDS … I don’t usually go over 130-140 when walking up some stairs or taking my kids to the park.

I just went to Mayo Rochester (Neurology) last month regarding my autoimmune syndrome. While I’ve already been dx with POTS on a tilt table last year – Mayo still ran me through their tilt table test which I didn’t mind. They said my results were normal even though they do not look normal to me and what my understanding of the definition of POTS is.

My understanding of the definition of POTS - The hallmark symptom of POTS is an increase in heart rate from the supine to upright position of more than 30 beats per minute or to a heart rate greater than 120 beats per minute within 10 minutes of head up tilt.

My Results:

Supine 1 Min 5 Min 10 Min
Bp (mmHg) 116/78 120/98 114/70 108/80
Pulse 105 119 129 133

So while I did not get the 30+ bmp (I got 28), I definitely went over the 120 bpm. The doctor told me it was normal. I didn’t really push him on it because it’s not like I need a dx of POTS…. POTS is actually lower on my concern list compared to my other symptoms – PAIN and WEAKNESS. So, am I missing something?

Your understanding of the definition is the same as mine.

I guess one thing to consider is what your symptoms are. If the only symptoms you have are this heart rate change perhaps your doctor is not concerned or does not feel you need treatment. Typically POTS includes a myriad of symptoms besides the hr change, and these can be disabling--and improved with correct medications. Have you recevied an explanation for your weakness? While pain is not a typical POTS symptom, weakness can be a POTS symptom.

Could you have been feeling anxious about the test? There are other reasons too that resting hr can be elevated. Some patients with POTS have IST, even if they are fit.

It could be you need more "snapshots" of what your heart rate is doing supine and standing, for your dr to get a good idea of what is going on for you. If you have a bp monitor at home you could do this at home and report the results to your doctor. Or simply measure your heartrate lying and standing, over several days (ideally probably at the same time of day). For many POTS patients, we have our most dramatic symptoms in the AM.