Does Anyone Use A Probiotic?

looneymom

I need to start my son on a probiotic. The immunologist suggested that I give him one but never suggested a brand. I know they can be bought over the counter and ordered online. There is a also a good chance that Tyler will be started on a high dosage of antibiotics very soon. Please share or p/m what is good and what is not worth spending money on.

Rachel

My physician put me on "Align" - he said it was one of the best brands OTC. I've been on it more than a year and it helps some with the gastric and intestinal distress. I have also been on antibiotics for over a month. I've been in and out of the hospital for IV antibiotics and now, give my own IV antibiotics at home - for at least another 2 weeks. It is important to be on a probiotic while on antibiotics - especially IV - the good bacteria gets killed off with the bad and can lead to some nasty intestinal infections if not replaced by the probiotic. I would think your physician has a preferred brand as there are different types of probiotics on the market. I know "Align" has worked well for me and I have tolerated all the potent antibiotics without GI distress......

I have used PB8. It can be purchased at most health food stores, GNC's and Whole foods. It has the run of the mill strains of beneficial bacteria which is good enough for me. I have tried "stronger" types and not felt well at all. I don't take it all the time and usually just take one for a few days and then stop as I get a little stomach stuff from them. And of course, with POTS, we can worse with supplements too so go low and slow as always.

Florajen3 is what my Lyme doc had me on when I was seeing her. Reg dose is one time per day. She had me take one twice a day when she had me on heavy doses of antibiotics. She also said to make sure you take the probiotic either 2 hours before or after taking the antibiotics. If you take them at the same time the antibiotics immediately kill the probiotics and you're wasting your money and not getting the benefit. As was said above, the probiotics can make you feel kind of nauseated at first but I got past that after a week or so of sticking to it. Hope this path of treatment helps Tyler.: -)

I've started to take acidophilus in the past week, trying to help some of my ibs symptoms. The bentyl I'm on for flares has been not very effective in this current one, and I remember taking this last time I was on antibiotics for an infection. Can't say I have any relief yet, but can't hurt... I too will look into the brands mentioned here.

The best probiotic in yogurt form that I have ever seen is called chobani. Its a little expensive but its delicious and has more probiotics and protein than many others. Is he getting any better Rachel?

He is still the same but may have a new treatment plan in place this next week. I will keep you posted.

Rachel