Does Dark Chocolate Help Pots?

looneymom

I know dark chocolate helps the mood but how else does it help? The immunologist suggested that I give my son this because it's high in antioxidants. Does dark chocolate have a lot of caffeine? I'm only giving him 4 dark Hershey kisses after lunch everyday. I really though it would make his vocal tic worse. We have had a few stormy day this week in Oklahoma, so his vocal tic has been worse on those days, but when I give him the chocolate, it seems to calm him and the vocal tics stop. I really need to figure out why this is helping him. Any ideals?

Rachel

As for helping pots, I have no clue, but the anti oxidants of it is pretty cool. I just know lately I'm having whiny girl moments and chocolate just makes me happy, lol. I love dark chocolate just because of the taste.

Hope someone else has some better answers for ya.

Several things about dark chocolate:

- it's rich in antioxidants

- it contains copious amounts of Magnesium, Potassium, Copper, Iron, Manganese and Zinc (100 g chocolate contains the equivalent of 80% of the DRV for Magnesium; and 70% of the DRV for Potassium; about 75% DRV for Copper; 50% DRV for Iron; 90% DRV for Manganese and 20% DRV for Zinc). I may be off with those percentages here and there, but you get the idea.

- the flavonols it contains may stimulate the lining of the arteries to produce nitric oxide (NO) allowing the arteries to relax, thus helping reduce the BP (this is a mild effect though)

The same 100 g dark chocolate (3.5 oz) contains about 40 mg caffeine. Compare that to one medium cup of coffee that has around 100 mg caffeine. Also, keep in mind that one Hershey's kiss has 4-5 grams or 0.15 oz give or take.

Alex