Dr. Koontz Anyone? Neurologist? Ohio

tpapik

Hi. I am from Ohio Yes I have been to cleveland clinic and yes ive seen Jaeger, and shields , anyway a ihave doctors out of university and want to see a POTS speicalist that is out of University Hospitals. had anyone seen Dr. Koontz? do you like him? does he do EKG's and Orthostatics? For those that have a neurologist do they do ekgs and orthos? prescribe your meds?

Also from NE ohio anyone know of any other good POTS doctors that are not out of C.C

Sorry I don't have any answers for ya, but just wanted to wave at ya from southeast Ohio *waves*. I have seen docs at osu, and they have referred me to Dr Grubbs in Toledo, but I have yet to be able to get there.

Giving a shout out from southwest OH. I have a cardiologist from the Cincinnati area that comes to our rural city. He sent me to Dr. Grubb at the University of Toledo's Cardiac/Dysautonomia Center. I feel very blessed to have a cardiologist who stuck with me through this (I was a challenge to him) and with Dr. Grubb. He told me from the get-go I would need a pacer 'down the road'. I rather put it out of my mind as I was in mid-50s and was thinking distant future. One and a half years later, he put the pacer in. I struggled with skepticism--even as bad as I felt, it was not like I had true syncope all the time (although I had near syncope a ton). I had syncope maybe 5 times that I could recall that year. But at the 3 month pacemaker check, it showed the pacemaker (on demand/dual lead/senses when blood return is inadequate to the heart and kicks in) was doing 63% of the work of the upper heart. Before I got in to see Dr. Grubb, I thought I was going to die, I was extremely debilitated by the hypotensive episodes.

I'm sorry I am not familiar with good neurologists. Dr. Grubb is a good distance to ride for appointments from here, but well worth it. I think together they saved my life. My cardiologist had me checked by my neurologist while waiting to see Dr. Grubb for the first time, but she is local and did a very brief/generic exam and reviewed my chart (I'd seen her for years with the last visit about 5 years prior to that visit for treatment of migraines and clusters and status migranous, but she thought I looked 'familiar' but couldn't really remember me). There is only one neurologist in our city so I've kind of lost faith. That being said, she did recommend Mestinon for the Autonomic Nervous System but never ordered any new tests. I never started on the medication, however as my cardiologist wanted Dr. Grubb to see me how I was with just the Midodrine I'd been on. Dr. Grubb did add Mestinon but I couldn't tolerate it--I could not keep a thing down when taking it. The neurologist asked me to let her know what Dr. Grubb found out and when I called her, she reminded me that the Mestinon was the drug she was thinking about, but she did not suggest that I come back for any kind of follow-up.

My PCP (Internal Med) is relatively new to a patient with my kinds of problems, however she was quick to recognize the POTS. And she is great at encompassing the bigger picture in my history when she sees me. She leaves cardiac/dysautonomia things to my cardiologist and Dr. Grubb. My cardiologist wants Dr. Grubb to continue to manage my medications until he gets to the point where he (Dr. Grubb) feels things have stabilized, and then he will manage things here locally. My cardiologist even gave me print outs of research articles about other medications he was considering for me, to run past Dr. Grubb (to see if he--my cardiologist, was on the right track with his thinking).

I feel very blessed to have things work out as they did. I have compassionate, caring doctors who take me seriously and did not drop the ball or give up on me when all was not black and white. I wish you the same blessings.

ruby

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old however I too am from northeast Ohio looking for a good dr. Ive had pots for 15 years its taken so much from me. I've been on dr. Grubbs wait list for almost a year now and not happy with my current cardiologist. I've been to Cleveland clinic seen shields and jeager but was not impressed. Just wondering if you ever came acrossed any while I wait for dr. Grubb.