Questions About Nuclear Vs Regular Stress Test, And Cardiac Eval. Info Needed!

LMG

Hi All,

I have only had an echo and EKG over the past two years of POTS and just recently was in the ER with chest pains. The ER physician scheduled a new cardio appointment for me and a nuclear stress test. I would like the stress test but am worried about the radioactive stuff that is injected. Like most of us, I am so sensitive to everything.

My dad had a heart attack in his 40's (but lived to be 85)and I have high cholesterol, so they think I have some risk factors.

Any suggestions- regular stress test vs this one? Any other tests I should be thinking about?

My POTS and NMH has been handled more by a neuro and endo, and I do think this is something I would like to have looked at further, to make sure there are no true cardiac issues.

Thanks!

Regular stress tests is ok, but not as reliable as nuclear,

They can actually see how well the heart muscle is perfused, I dont see why they just dont do a ct angiogram, but thats radiation, but more definitive imo.

Dont worry about the dye, its just like medicine and any bad effects would be dealt with there and then, your in the right place.

I know a few people on here have mentioned issues with dye contrasts and radioactive materials for testing, but please keep in mind there are plenty of us here that don't react to these things. I have mcas, many food and drug allergies, but I don't react at all to any of the dyes or radioactive materials used for various diagnostics. If you haven't reacted poorly to anything like this before, I wouldn't worry too much about having a reaction this time. I think it is like anything else....we all react to different things and there's no way to anticipate what these things will be.