Midodrine May Be Promising?

andybonse

Hello,

When I'm cold and get goose bumps and stand up my heart rate hardly goes up compared to when im warm, I guess this is due to the vasoconstriction from the cold?

So, if Midodrine has the same effect, it could help me out a great deal? My Doc is going to try me on it after my autonomic testing.

If this is the case, it should help with hotter conditions and stop vasodilation, right?

Andy,

I started midodrine about 3 months ago and have noticed a decrease in my heart rate. The unfortunate side effects for me have been the goosebumps. They raise up on my arms and are actually kinda painful for a few min's....also, my extremities feel as though my foot's fallen asleep.. if that makes any sense. So my dr. says that this means the midodrine is actually working. I'm a hyper pots patient so this was quite a gamble but it seems to be paying off. Good luck to you

Have you checked into Mestinon for the thermoregulatory control and HR?

Hey Andy,

Typically used for Myasthenia Gravis. taken from their website "MESTINON® is an orally active cholinesterase inhibitor. MESTINON® prevents the breakdown of acetylcholine by allowing more acetylcholine to accumulate. Acetylcholine is the chemical that sends nerve impulses to the muscle. With more acetylcholine, there is more control of voluntary functions such as eye movements, limited strength, swallowing and breathing."

Since Mestinon is not FDA approved for Dysautonomia there really isn’t all that much literature showing it’s effectiveness on thermoregulatory control. It does help to lower your body temperature so that has to be the "golden ticket". My doctor has saved Mestonin as the next medication he’d like to try, and it’s not for the thermoregulatory control, its to see if it decreases my heart rate.. I have a friend with hyper pots who takes it for POTS to control the temp control/ flushing and It does lower her HR.. but the dosing has to be consistent or else you may have some unpleasant GI effects.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help, Andy

Yeah, I get the goosebumps too. And the weird feeling of them on my head. Doesn't itch, but it makes it feel like my hair is sticking straight up, lol. Kinda freaky.

Midodrine only works for as bout 1-1/2 hours for me though. I try to do what I can in those spans, three times a day.

There is a book called "Gulf War and Health Volume 1. Depleted Uranium, Pyridostigmine Bromide, Sarin, and Vaccines" available for reading or free downloading from the National Academies Press: http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=9953 You need to create an account with the NAP though before downloading it, or you can just read the book online for free.

Pages 216-217 of the book explain the thermoregulatory properties of PB (pyridostigmine bromide also known as mestinon). The entire chapter on Mestinon is interesting (pages 207-266)

Alex

Glad to hear it Sarah,

It is indeed quite a dense lecture, but it offers details on mestinon that I was unable to find elsewhere.

By the way are you currently taking mestinon or just trying to convince your dr to prescribe it for you?

Good luck with your appointments.

Alex

PS Sorry Andy, I didn't mean to hijack your thread :)

The peripheral selective α−agonist midodrine is the only agent approved by the FDA for the treatment of orthostatic hypotension.43 The pressor effect of midodrine is due to both arterial and venous constriction. The efficacy of this agent has been demonstrated in open−label and double−blind studies.43−45 Midodrine, the prodrug is activated to desglymidodrine the active α−adrenoreceptor agonist. Absorption as the prodrug may theoretically minimize direct vasoconstriction of the gastrointestinal tract. Midodrine is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. The peak plasma concentration of midodrine occurs in 20−40 minutes and the half−life is 30 minutes. The half−life of desglymidodrine is 4 hours. Patient sensitivity to this agent varies and the dose should be titrated from 2.5 mg to 10 mg t.i.d. The peak effect of this agent occurs 1 hour after ingestion. Potential side effects of this agent include pilomotor reactions, pruritus, supine hypertension, gastrointestinal complaints, and urinary retention. Central nervous system side effects occur infrequentl