Got A Wheelchair Today!

khaarina

I expected it to be a bittersweet moment, getting a wheelchair, but I am mostly just really excited to be able to get out and do more stuff. I am so sick of missing out on life because everything involves too much walking or standing. I am afraid I will feel foolish being pushed around, but hopefully I get used to it soon because I'm heading to Comic Con next week to meet one of my favorite authors and I am so excited!

Now that I am thinking about it, I'm really nervous too. The last thing I need is to get there and feel miserable. This is the first thing I've been excited about since I got sick over two years ago. Anyone have any suggestions for making the trip run smoothly? It will be several hours, 10am to 5 or 6pm probably. The wheelchair will help a lot, but there are so many variables to worry about, like temperature, people wearing perfumes, the long drive...oh boy.

I get that feeling using a motor cart at the store. Bittersweet. At least I'm out, but I still syncope while sitting.

No advice, but enjoy comic con!! Do what you can, rest when you must, and smile.

Enjoy your new freedom. It does make traveling easier and it will build up some arm, shoulder, and core strength. Just be careful not to wear yourself out.

I was put in a wheelchair for about a year and tended to use it more than I should of. I found the use of a rolling walker with a seat worked much better for me. I was still mobile and had the walker with a seat for when symptoms kicked in. I know some of us need a wheelchair to get out of the house so I'm not saying anything negative about it. But would definetly recommend trying a walker. Mine has a seat and hand breaks and I feel it's a great tool to stay walking.

Way to go! It took a bit of getting used to, but I am so glad I have my wheelchair. The only advice I would offer is, be careful not to sit too long. For me any type of sitting(without my legs being elevated)tends to be a problem. Fortunately I can get up and push my chair for a couple of minutes, before I get to dizzy. Hope you have a great time. Remember to keep hydrated.

I took the new wheelchair out to Wal-Mart for a test drive and it went surprisingly well. I expected it to be harder because I usually get sick with any kind of excersize, but I wheeled myself around the whole store and didn't get sick. It was a good workout for my arms, which I need, and when it got to be too much I would just park somewhere and look at books or toys or something and rest for a few minutes, then I was good to go. I went to Books A Million earlier today and decided to walk because I knew I wouldn't be long and after about 4 minutes I was drenched in sweat and sick. Later I spent about 45 minutes in Wal-Mart and felt pretty good the whole time. This is definately going to be a good solution for getting me out of the house. Good timing because I was about to go crazy! For anyone who is thinking of getting a wheelchair, I suggest getting one with elevating leg rests. Mine looks just like this one. You can raise the leg rests pretty easily and they lock in place. Having the option to put your legs up when you are really feeling whoozy is awesome! You have to detach them when folding the chair up, but it only takes like a minute and it is well worth it.

Thanks everyone. Comic Con was a blast. At first it was a little awkward being in a wheelchair because it was pretty crowded, but I got used to it quick enough and I know that I would not have lasted half an hour if I had to walk. So anyone thinking of getting a wheelchair, it is worth it!