Anyone Else Have Thyroid T4 Conversion Problems?

lynnie22

I had my thyroid removed six years ago because of cancer. I think that's when all my problems began. POTS symptoms began slowly, never felt right. But I have a worsening problem with getting my body to convert what I take orally (synthroid) into T3, the form it needs. I always have TOO much T4 and too little T3. My endo has been testing and testing me for years, saying it isn't possible, although his blood tests keep proving it, and I have seen some sites where others do have this problem.

I was just wondering if anyone here has a similar problem and I wonder to what extent being hypo (not enough T3) and hyper (too much T4) is contributing to my POTS and blood pressure problems. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

I also had my thyroid removed 5 years ago due to severe Hashimoto. My thyroid levels seemed to level out to normal up until last year. I can say I never felt like what my numbers said.

Last year, my TSH began staying around 0.03(normal low is 0.3). At the same time my FT4 was at upper-normal, FT3 normal. I actually felt really good for the first time since my thyroid was removed. I had energy! I was told to reduce my meds to get my TSH back up some. I did, and over the next few months, my TSH stayed low, but the frees moved back into the mid-range area. I lost the energy and gained some weight back on.

I am wondering if I have something that causes me to NEED to appear hyperthyroid, but I am actually not.

For many years I had T4 to T3 conversion problems as seen by my labs showing high T4 but low T3. I actually got an endo who let me try Cytomel, a T3 short-acting hormone. I got diarrhea from it. I tried for months to adjust to the T3. I couldn't, so I am back to Synthroid only.

Only recently, my T3 level finally rose. I have no idea why.

Having no thyroid definitely can become an ongoing problem as I am totally reliant on exogenous thyroid hormone, and my body appears to have had problems using the Synthroid. I have no choice now. I am on Synthroid, and I must remain on it.

I have never been able to tolerate T3 either. Or even a T4/T3 combo. All made me super hot and my heart races.

I sometimes wonder if when I went gluten free, something changed in the way that I was able to "use" the thyroxine finally. But somehow, it can't be measured by my TSH alone, as it has been almost non-existant for over a year now. I kind of wondered about my pituitary, but I'd have to see if any of my other pit hormones are changing. I have an endo appt. this week, so I'm sure things will be checked.