Severe Symptoms After Swimming

clairc

On 7/21/2013 at 4:02 PM, Rachel Cox said:

Hi Clair, I suspect it is the high temperature of the water. You were in for half an hour which is a long time in that kind of heat. I know I would feel all those things you mention if I spent even half that length of time in water that hot. My body just can't thermoregulate effectively and it takes a very long time to get over it. Do you have a similar experience after a bath? I suspect it is about how your body handles heat. It is so frustrating when well meaning people suggest things to help that trigger other issues.
Hope you find another solution.
R

This

On 7/21/2013 at 4:02 PM, Rachel Cox said:

Hi Clair, I suspect it is the high temperature of the water. You were in for half an hour which is a long time in that kind of heat

I have had the same experience Clair.  I am not terrifically deconditioned.  I can walk and ride a stationary bike and do some Pilates.  I thought, and my doctor thought, the pool would be good for me and that sounded reasonable.  I would get out after a short swim about as dizzy as I get, nearly pass out in the shower and be unsafe driving home.  I had to admit, after a while, that delightful though it felt in the water, swimming was not something I could do safely to increase my strength or cardio wellness.  The pool I swam in was relatively warm, but outside.  I wonder how it might work, swimming somewhere cold, like a mountain lake or the sea?