Children Of Pots Moms

GingerA

I have a question that is really bothering me. Has there been any evidence that mother's with POTS have children with health issues? The reason I ask is that I have three children and all have some sort of issue. My oldest and youngest sons have asthma and allergies. The oldest also has severe flat feet, and OCD so extreme that he has been taken out of school and placed on medical leave. He is now 16 which is the same age I was when I started exhibiting symptoms. I see signs of POTS in him but he is in total denial. I don't want to push the issue until it is a problem that we have to address because of course his doctor says that he doesn't see that signs. My middle son is 12 and has ADHD but is for the most part healthy but my youngest is 5 and has a bicupid aeotic valve, had an H-type fistula that needed repair, and a possible learning disability. I just feel so guilty. Did I do this to them?

Hi Ginger,

I don't know if POTS is genetic but you have a right to be concerned. Just keep a close eye on your sons. My youngest has pots but I keep a close watch on my oldest son. Heart problems run on both sides of the family. So I have wondered if there is a connection. Don't feel guilty. No one in my family has POTS but in time, research should be able to answer these questions. Stay close to your family and be there for them. A learning disability is not the end of the world. Be involved with your son's education and he may out grow this. I've seen it happen, because I taught this group of kids for many years in a public school system. Hope you are have a symptom free day.

Autonomic issues run in my family. My Mom has EDS and my aunt has a weak autonomic nervous system. My grandma has passed away, but we think she had POTS. My sister had POTS (but healed!) and now I have it.

I don't know what the connection is but my grandmother had problems with circulation and stroke and she was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was young, who knows if the diagnosis was correct. Also, my son has almost passed out a few times and he gets weak and fatigued a lot especially in the heat. I'm pretty sure both my grandmother and son have some sort of autonomic dysfunction.