Pre Syncope When Swimming

kclynn

My son is taking swimming for summer school. It seemed like the only PE class he could handle. He is having pre syncope symptoms, black spots and dizziness. I am bummed. I had heard swimming was so good. The teacher has had him in other classes and totally gets his medical conditions, doesn't make him push, lets him sit out, even let him take 2 days off at her suggestion and write reports. The last time he was in the water he felt that way after swimming 1 lap :( though. Today is the last day of the first session so he has 2 1/2 weeks to go. Anyone else have symptoms while swimming? He said he got dizzy when turning his head to breathe.

Is there an alternative PE program that he can go through?

I know in my state that there are plenty of kids who do alternative PE, who get credit outside of school district programs, who do not have disabilities.

Where I live, a local rehabilitation hospital is holding a seminar on dysautonomia. They are recommending aquatics for rehabilitation, in the form of aquatic therapy.

Is there any way he could do an alternative PE program, such as rehabilitation or aquatic therapy, under the supervision of a physical therapist?

You could kill two birds with one stone. He could get reconditioning training and receive PE credit.

My son was able to get his PE credit by doing water jogging at home. He had to log 60 hours to get the .5 credit. After 60 hours, I turned in the time log to his counselor to get his credti. He was also given PE .5 credit for physical therapy he went through. He doesn't swim, so I'm not sure if he would have those issues. He just did the water jogging which was recommended by his doctor

Is water jogging a possibility? .

The teacher let him take 2 days off and write papers and then Friday they just played water games which he participated in and had no trouble. Monday will start the beginning of the second 2 1/2 week session so I will go and discuss with the teacher how we can get him through this and it would be easiest to do it this way, but not of course at the possibility of endangering him. If she isn't willing to significantly modify things then we will have to do something else. I think she will as she is really great and concerned with his success.

I had asked about an online pe class and that wasn't an option. I am sure they will do some other modified class if it is needed. His Dr. who is in this district told me last night they will do that and he can do bowling, horse shoes, modified tennis, etc... make a plan for him. She is on board so that is great, too.

They wouldn't count his Physical Therapy which is stupid, but in general the school has been great about things in many ways.

Hard during the summer not to be able to get answers

Thanks for the support. Christy, how is your son doing? We haven't chatted in awhile.

I can slowly swim on my back just using my legs forever but not on my stomach. I think it has something to do with being able to breath at my normal rate. Has he tried that ?

If he wants to do other swim strokes on his stomach where he has to hold his breath, maybe flipping over on his back every few strokes and resting would help.

This is what works for me.