A New Plan

Hope

I went to my cardiologist this morning for a recheck and he decided to stop my beta blocker to see if that improves my low blood pressure, going along with the thinking that the tachycardia is a reaction to the low bp. I'm game! He also wants me to go see Dr. Grubb. He mentioned it last time as an option, but was more direct about it this time. So I plan to call and get that ball rolling. I'm hoping I don't have to redo a bunch of tests, but I guess if I want progress I'm going to have to suck it up. :) I'm so fortunate to have been sent to this cardiologist. He really seems to care about what he does.

So glad to hear of someone who has a good relationship with their doctor. I am on the wait list for Dr. Grubb's assistant Beverly. Just a heads up when I last called the wait for Dr. G was a year and his assistant was 8 months. I have been told that Beverly has been his assistant for 20 years and consults with him on all cases. Once you see one of them, you are automatically a patient of his and next appointments are not as difficult to get.

Hope it may take a while to get in with grubb. You may get in sooner with his NP beverly, who also is very good. They will not make an appointment with you until your doc has sent your medical records to him. So have your doc fax them, once you have confirmation they will most likely put you on a waiting list. I recommend calling regularly to see if an appointment has opened up. I got in earlier on a cancellation.

He doesn't do a lot of testing. He requested my cardio run a supine/standing catechcolamine test. He prescribed labetalol and alpha/beta that can work like clonidine without the side effects. I'm still on baby doses of it. He diagnosed me as hyper even before the blood test confirmed it.

If you haven't had a tilt yet, he may do one, but I'd have your doc request it and have it schedule before you go, if you haven't had one. There has been some discussion on his availability because of a family illness. His wife has a malig brain tumor, like Ted Kennedy died from. I saw him 4 years ago, and she'd had it for a while, and he discussed that and that he survived kidney cancer himself during my appointment with him.

He is very kind. If I lived closer I would still be seeing him, but my docs here in az are managing me pretty well.

Well that sounds encouraging about Dr. Grubb, although very sad about his and his wife's own medical issues! Thank you.

After 3 days of no beta blocker, I don't think it's a good idea. My blood pressure is climbing slightly each day, that's good. But my heart rate is climbing right along with it. I took a half a beta blocker anyway this morning at 133bpm. I haven't even taken a shower yet. All I have done is gotten our breakfast and walk around the house a bit and I would like to do a little more than that today. Although it does feel good to have my systolic over 100! Heck, over 85 or 90 is good so 104 is good for me. My head feels much clearer. It's too bad I can't get a good balance between the two.