Dr. Levine's Exercise Protocol? Or Dr. Dubovsky's Dna Repair Protocol?

I can't get into any link for this article but I think I've got the general idea just from the title.

Couch Potatoes May Have the Right Idea

Steven Dubovsky

May 20, 2013

In this animal study, even mild exploratory activity was associated with DNA damage that in wild-type animals was repaired with resting.

Reviewing: Suberbielle E et al. Nat Neurosci 2013 May 16:613

Herrup K et al. Nat Neurosci 2013 May 16:518

Any takers for DNA repair?

Sounds good to me.

I don't know anything about the DNA repair theory, but when I was at my sickest, with extreme weakness, nausea, diarrhea, trouble breathing, no temperature control, etc., and had self-diagnosed myself but had not yet identified a doctor who could diagnose me, a friend (who is a doctor) told me I should just stay in bed and rest. I rested for a few weeks and gradually improved, although I still had POTS and many symptoms.

After I was prescribed a beta blocker and midodrine, I finally was able to work up from exercising for a few minutes to exercising for an hour, over a period of a couple months. I follow something like the Levine program. I still have POTS, but the cardio and weight training allows me to do more and may reduce some of my symptoms.

So, I think one has to balance and know yourself. When I was at my worst, I felt like rest was a lifesaver for me, but in my current improved, but still with POTS state, a Levine type exercise program gives me better results. But I never "push through". Whenever exercise made me feel worse, I would cut back to a level where it didn't and slowly build up from there, with an emphasis on slowly.

I generally haven't overdone physical activity. I had always been active but I certainly always stopped more intense physical activity when I felt faint or the activity impacted my breathing too much (and yes, that would happen before it did to anyone else always).

After being on this site, I figured out that more rest and more lying down whenever I wasn't upright would be better for me. It (in addition to keeping cooler and taking meds) made a big difference.

However, I have also become interested in using the extra rest for doing things I had never done in my life because it didn't feel good. For whatever reason, because it just hadn't felt good and I hadn't even paid attention to what I did and didn't do, I just stopped when I didn't feel like doing more. But now, it really interests me to see what I really can and can't do that everyone else does. And it's kind of nice to be able to get more done because I know better how to rest.

My sense is that exercise is good for me for parts of health that don't have to do with this condition. But rest is far superior for making me less symptomatic from autonomic problems. (Maybe that means I don't like either theory :) ).