Do You Get Dehydrated Alot?

I am starting to notice that I get dehydrated a lot now. I have gastroparesis too so the nausea and the filling very full after drinking anything...makes getting in fluids tough. I have had to get fluids a few times in my dr.'s office and have had a few bladder infections from being so dehydrated ( plus my bladder is losing function ), dr. said my urine was like ammonia and full of infection. The last time I got dehydrated it didn't take long before I was at a critical state. I also have hypoglycemia and my blood sugar got down to 58. I was so weak!!!

Why do we get dehydrated so easily? I have read others have this problem.

Sheila,

My wife who does not have dysautonomia just went through the same thing as you (it sounds like). She had colonic inertia so bad she had a bowel movement about once a month. She was so uncomfortable and in pain she couldn't stand up. The pressure of gravity pulling down on her digestive "parts" was very painful. She couldn't eat much or drink because of the pain, nausea and vomiting. After 10 months of that and testing after testing they finally decided the only way to resolve her issue was to have her colon removed. That was a few months ago.

So after her colon was successfully removed (without a colostomy bag) she was starting to heal but not feeling a ton better. She ended up seeing a urologist who said she had a bladder infection and it has been there a long time. She just didn't realize it because the bladder pain was lumped in with her colon pain. The urologist did an ultrasound and said the lining for her bladder was gone (from the infection) and that she has to be on meds for 6 months to try to rebuild it. She got rid of the infection quickly with anti-biotics.

So now she is a little better but still dealing with bladder pain.

She never went to the hospital for dehydration but it is always a fight to stay hydrated both before and after the surgery. She would say her heart would do funny things before the surgery.

My wife has been dealing with that. Two and a half years ago I suddenly got hit with dysautonomia, now everyone's afraid to come in our house because they think they will walk out with a strange illness.

Justin

Sounds like my house. Sorry you both are having a tough time. I have gastroparesis also. The whole digestive system is slowing down plus my bladder is losing some function too. Fun stuff, not!

• 1 month later...

Sheila -- I've often wondered in the past how I manage to get dehydrated even though I drink a ton. At Mayo clinic they said if the sodium and fluid levels aren't balanced, it can be difficult for the body to hang on to fluid and we may wash out the sodium. I recommend a 24 hour urine test to look at your sodium levels. I need to repeat this as right after I had it done and was told the amount of fluid to decrease by and amount of sodium to increase, I didn't get dehydrated but lately I have been again.

Justin -- I cannot imagine having a bladder infection that long and being in so much pain I didn't notice it. I always notice them right away. What a tough woman. Oh my goodness!! Your poor wife. Send her hugs from me.