Physiatrist

I recently applied for disability and one of the books I read said to consider getting an evaluation done by a physiatrist because physiatrists are qualified specifically to evaluate your ability to work. The benefit would be if they wrote a report regarding functional capacity regarding limiting impairments.

In addition to applying for disability, I am considering getting a manual wheelchair, particularly with power assist, for propelling and to maintain independence. Dizziness, pre-syncope and fatigue are significant, so the benefit would probably be worth it.

Has anyone seen a physiatrist for dysautonomia or has considered seeing one?

Next time I go to my neurologist, I am probably going to ask for a referral.

Before I could get aproved for disability they made me get a functional capacity test. They provided one and paid for it. Shortly after that test I was approved. That was my employee disability.

I am applying for SSDI, a type of Social Security disability.

I would imagine that seeing a physiatrist and having him or her write an evaluation could only help.

As for a wheelchair, he or she could probably help me get a power assist for a manual chair.

It could help, but they may send you to another one for second opinion.

There are specific lists and conditions SSDI will approve, and are listed.

It seems from what have read in regards to folks with Dysautonomia disability varies.

(from cognitive impairment , to syncope, physical limitations/dx.)

I am in the process of applying for SSDI and a PhD in psychology is accepted as well. I have been seeing a family therapist (who is not qualified to complete the Mental Residual Functional Capacity Assessment - not an MD or PhD). The therapist is writing a support letter for disability to SSA on my behalf. My lawyer told me if SSA feels it is nessecary for an MRFCA to be completed, SSA will send me to see a PHD psychologist on the government's dime.