Make Yourself Heart Attack Proof

issie

Hi Issie,

Wow. That was great information. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm going to keep moving in the vegan direction. It is a bit of a process but certainly achievable.

Besides improving cardiovascular health, there are of course the immune system benefits which I know you have pointed out before.

Janet

If you educate yourself on the lifestyle and watch video and read as much as you can about it - it makes it much easier to commit to. I like a site called Forks over Knives and also Dr. McDougal's info. There are a lot of videos on UTube about it. I also keep up with what I eat and my vit., minerals, fats, proteins etc. in a program called SparkPeople. That way, I know I'm not being deficient in something.

It's sure making a difference for me.

Issie

You can get the documentary "Forks Over Knives" as well just about anywhere; it really lays out the case this guy makes. It's pretty compelling except for the fact that the larger, longitudinal studies focus on China, and there are some significant genetic differences between myself and someone from China, not to mention environmental factors.

Recently, the diet idea has come under fire with isolated genetic communities showing shared genetic mutations that play a role in longer lifespan, resistance to disease, etc. In Ecuador, for example, there is a group of people who share a mutation that causes dwarfism but also leaves them almost completely resistant to both heart disease and cancer.

Still, I'm a convert...I feel better since I've eliminated meat; I was trying to eat just fish for the health benefits, but it made me sick. Turns out there's so much garbage in fish that it provokes my body in bad ways. So that's enough for me. :)

Glad it's working for you....I would be a little concerned with a pregnant woman on this diet, because of low folic acid, B9, B12, and iron, which can cause neural tubal defects, though. I know you are not in that category, Issie; Just make sure you are getting enough protein from other sources :) , like beans, nuts, raisins, etc. Are you on no dairy? How about eggs and chicken?

Kim,

There are a few supplements that you take when you are vegan. B-12 and iron are two. The other thing he told me to take is iodine - I take kelp for that. (Not daily a few times a week on all these.) I do keep up with the amount of protein I get in a day by keeping a record of my foods and nutrition on a program called SparkPeople. It's free and it keeps up with all that for you. You just enter your food in each day - then you can tell where you need to tweak for best support.

Yes, vegan is totally no animal products. To convince yourself of the "smartness" of this move - you must research a lot and look at some videos and statistics to convince yourself to go this way. I did a lot of research before I could even commit to it. I'm very careful to make sure I'm getting what I need nutrition wise.

Issie

listened to the presentation am duly impressed bought his book to read

what I really want to know is......is this dr. surviving on grains, beans and veggies? I cannot understand what he eats?

Yes, that's basically it. A small amount of fruit too. Think WHOLE Foods. Foods in it's natural state. If it's refined or processed - it's not whole. It can be cooked or raw. Some veggies are better cooked - nutrition wise. Some books and websites that I like are : Dr. McDougal - Forks over Knives, Engines2 Diet (is this doctors son - who is a firefighter and promoting this type of lifestyle.) There are many videos that you can look up and it gives some good advice too. Hope, if you decide to try this - that you will enjoy it and get good results. Funny, every time we go somewhere my hubby is telling someone about my diet. He drives all over town to find resturants where I can eat and will go in to order for me (if it's to go) and tells the watress there that I'm vegan and low fat and he figures out how to keep me on my diet. I guess - the improvements must be apparant ---as he is all for this now. What a skeptic he was to start with. It's nice to have his support and also good that it is making such an improvement with me.

Issie

I can not help but ask what do you cook with in place of oil as we did hear at least a few times " No Oil ". I do a lot of grilling of veges and tofu and vege stir frying and like many others I am sure thought that olive and coconut oil were quite acceptable.

Janet

Well. I bought his book and I'm going to find out what he eats. I suspect that soy beans are a large part of the diet. I cannot eat many "healthy" foods because I have painful bladder syndrome, so soy beans are out for me. I may not be able to do his suggested diet because of my food sensitivities.

But I will find out more, read and experiment.

As for no oil, that is relatively easy for me. I don't like it anyway. As for veggies without oil, I would assume that steaming in the microwave instead of frying in oil is what this doctor would want?

You learn to cook with spices and learn how to make things taste good with different variations of spice. You also learn to appreciate the "true" flavor of what you're eating. You will start to look at them differently and taste them in a different way.

Issie

I've not watched it, I find videos difficult. Is this one of the ultra-low-fat diets? There are very strong health concerns, and huge amounts of bad science on the MacDougall website. I'm saying this as someone who's been vegan my entire adult life, and always eaten a healthy whole foods diet. We need fat in our diet, it's an essential macronutrient.

Batik, the patients Dr. Esselstyn had in his study had coronary artery disease and were at the end of their rope. The interventional surgeries of stents and bypasses were no longer of use to them. The doctor had these very sick people go on a very strict diet.

No oils ever in any form or in any thing

no animal proteins - he does not even approve of egg whites or fish

no fried foods

The goal was to get the cholesterol to 150 or below, and the LDL's to below 80.

Of the people who stuck with the diet, they slowed and reversed their coronary artery disease.

I look at it this way: For years my body has been telling me that I do not handle fat very well. I don't feel great after eating meat. and I get instantaneous heartburn from fatty fried foods. I feel better without them. I also have elevated cholesterol and I know I have plaque in my abdominal aorta. I have decided to remove oils and meats from my diet. It seems the right thing to do for me.

I've reversed Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3 down to Stage 1 with this diet. It is working for me and things are improving in so many ways. There is fat naturally in vegetables, beans and peas. Dr. McDougal doesn't limit those at all. My doctor is limiting my fat because of a health reason (it feeds the type of protozoa that I have and will help it to remain strong and healthy ----and possible keep ME from getting that way.) When I've messed up and eaten more fat - since I've been doing this for about 5 months now ---it makes me feel awful. My stomach hurts and I just generally don't feel well. Sticking to the diet has been a good thing and not sticking with it - makes me miserable. I do however use a vegan DHA. My doctor approved of that - since I felt that I needed more fat that would cross the blood brain barrier and improve cognitative function. There are additional supplements that he told me to use with this diet also: iron, iodine, B12. I use a few more things then these - but, these are the ones he specificially said to supplement.

Issie

futurehope,

I'll bump the thread that I first talked about this on. You can do a search on the forum and put in protozoa and there are many places where I've talked about what I'm doing and my results. There are others who have found that they have Lyme and co-infections and we are all doing similiar supplements. But, not all of us are doing the same diet. I don't know why they are not doing the lower fat - because my doctor feels really strongly about that as a key factor. He is also attacking biofilms - which is a substance (like a protective forcefield) around the protozoa, bacteria, virus to break that down so that the immune system can see and recognize these things and eliminate them.

Issie