What Does Your O2 Sat Do With Maximum Breath Holding?

Chaos

What does your O2 sat do with maximum breath hold?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been watching Dr. Cheney's video on diastolic dysfunction and possible atypical cardiac myopathy involvement with ME/CFS etc. In it he contends that his patients have lost the ability to unload O2 from the hemoglobin in their blood due to variety of possible reasons. Given the overlap between ME/CFS and POTS/dysautonomia, I'm wondering how many of us have a similar issue and if it might account for any of the issues of breath hunger, shortness of breath etc that so many of us have at times with this.

Just curious what you all find if you have an O2 sat monitor and check this out on yourself. Obviously don't hold your breath if you feel it would in any way cause your symptoms to worsen or cause you to faint etc. and please make sure you are in a safe environment/location if you do try doing this- just in case. :)

I am not sure about my percentage points but I held my breath for 25 sec and my O2 went from 97 to 93 the second time I did this I held my breath for 26 sec o2 stayed at 97 but my heart rate went from 67 - 63 I think I need to change the batteries in the pulse ox gadget and try again later.

• 1 month later...

What do you mean by breath hunger? I definitely feel a little short of breath when I first stand up and my heart rate goes crazy, but who wouldn't with a 130s heart rate? It gets better as I continue to walk and my heart rate goes down. Do you continue to be out of breath throughout standing?

Breath hunger....feeling like you can't get enough air. On "bad" days, this will last throughout the day and when I have "relapses" it can last for weeks. It's evident to everyone around me as I can't say more than a couple words at a time without having to gasp for air. Frequently having to take really deep sighing type breaths to feel like I am getting enough air. Can't walk across the room without breathing like I'm running a marathon.

I get the shortness of breath associated with tachycardia as well, but this is different. Having a hard time putting it succinctly into words tonight though, sorry!

No. My O2 sats always seem to be great. They didn't even drop when I had pneumonia last winter.

One of the reasons I thought this original topic was interesting is because I suspect my daughter has the same thing I have. (She's scheduled for a workup in August). However last year she had massive blood clotting throughout her lungs and her O2 sat never dropped either. Was in upper 90's throughout the 5 days she was hospitalized. HR was thru the roof every time she got up...but O2 sat never dropped.

Guest Hanice

I need an oximeter :-/ I DO get out of breathe when I stand up and sometimes when sitting. I hyperventilate all the time witbout knowing. I went to the hospital because of near syncope in public and the moniter was beeping off the charts the whole time because I was almost constantly hyperventilating.