Eds Friends, Shin Splints?

Kris4444

When I took my 30 day medical leave I exercised daily. I have always had shin splints when I have taken time off from exercising. As usual, they got better as time went on but the pain in the tops of my feet persisted. I thought perhaps it was time for a new pair of running shoes.

When I went back to work it was during the busy season and I didn't get a chance to do much exercise. I am back to just WALKING now with my hubby. We have been going every night. It is our usual 2 mile walk to "the mansion" and back. Still dealing with vertigo afterward but it's nice to get out. Anyway, we bought new shoes and I have walked in them several times now. Last night the pain was INTENSE. It feels like the tendons are stuck to the bone if that makes any sense.

My calves are very tight all the time. I have always been a very physical person, running, riding. Do you think this has anything to do with the EDS and connective tissue or am I just fat and out of shape?

Thanks! :)

Kris,

My bet is its an age and EDS thing. I have chronic bursitis in several of the small joints in my feet and in my knees and hips. I also have chronic tendonitis in my Achilles tendon. Its really a pain (literally and figuratively.)

I have ACE bandages I wrap my ankles with if I'm running errands but not wearing athletic shoes. I just had custom ankle braces made for long walks (must be in athletic shoes). There were prescribed by Dr. Francomano. My unstable joints just need more support now. My pain thus far doesn't feel like bone/cartilage pain. It still is in the Bursa, tendons, and ligaments. I was actually surprised how much the ACE bandages helped my pain. Might be worth a try?

I have an appointment with the physical therapist that sees Dr. Tinkle's patients on May 9th. I am hoping that they will have some suggestions and can set me up with some braces and or support.

I bought new shoes, expensive ones that have added arch support. I still think I need to wear my custom orthodics. I am going to try that.

I fell off Soulie today, well I actually didn't quite make it on to fall off, happened at the mounting block lol, tarp, wind, spring, enough said. I think I'm ok, got on and rode anyway like I always would. I think I would have managed to get myself on if I wasn't so out of shape and fat. Oh well. Just another thing to deal with.

Well the time before I dislocated my pelvis. So I guess EDS worked against me that time. It wasn't a hard fall today, emergency dismount when I realized I couldn't get my right leg around the saddle when he spooked as I was mounting. Unfortunately I am so overweight that my emergency dismount landed me on my left butt cheek and of course I didn't let go of the reins so he pulled me pretty hard as he was spooking away from me pushing off of him. I had some nasty sciatica right away but got back on anyway. There was no one outside with us and he was high as a kite and not wanting to be away from the herd. PIG! LOL! Anyway, he spooked at a jogger and I decided to dismount and take him inside. Got some nice work out of him in the indoor.

I have a huge bruise on my inner thigh on my right leg from the cantle jamming into it as I tried to jump off. If I were fit and not overweight I wouldn't have had this problem. I used to have an Andalusian stallion in training and his trick was to bolt when you would mount. I used to be able to hop on anyway but now that I'm fat I guess I just can't.

Was diagnosed with GP today. Im hoping that will help me get on some sort of diet that can help me lose these pounds! Today was embarrassing! Thank God no one was around to see it! LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have horrible problem with shin splints and basically thought I'd never be able to run because of it.

A few years ago I tried the Vibram minimalist shoes and found that it completely eliminated my shin pain. Maybe a shoe with a more minimalist sole might help?

Hi Tuesday. I just recently bought new shoes which seems to have only made things worse. They were reccommended for my issues (I have plantar fasciitis) A very stiff sole. Maybe they aren't the right shoes for me or maybe I'm just so out of shape and overweight that my feet pronate more than they have and it's causing more problems.

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I should go see my foot doc again.