Methyldopa And Clonidine?

I think there was a lengthy thread about this about 2 MOS ago. I've had both recommended to me and I plan to trial Clonidine soon- it's just down the line on the list of things to try and I'm trying to only make one change at a time.

Also, you might PM Kitt. She has tried both and I think she has had more success w the Methyldopa. When discussing w Dr. Thompson he recommended I try Clonidine first as he has witnessed more pts having success with it but he also said some do better w the Methyldopa.

What is the difference between these two medications? Our cardiologist wants to try my son on the the Clonidine after he is weaned off some of his other medicines. He has mentioned both of these medications to me. I will try to find the post.

Hi,

I take clonidine 0.1mg bid. For me it has along with other medications and conservative measures significantly helped control my POTS ( hyperadrenergic response ) symptoms. 0.1mg was supposed to be a starting amount but I was not able to tolerate an increase. Before taking clonidine even standing for very short periods of time would cause such jitteriness I felt like jumping out of my own skin. Because I started taking pyridostigmine about the same time as the clonodine I can not say which one had the most effect on restraining my tachycardia. Since I could only tolerate the starting dose of clonidine, propranalol 5 mg bid was added. I continue to have a problem with a very labile blood pressure but I dont think there is anything left to alter that.

Janet