How To Find Geneticist/do Genetic Research

davecom

I noticed that a few of you are working with a geneticist. How did you find him? How expensive is it? What is a feasible way to get testing on one's own for something like Marfan's, EDS, or other connective tissue disorders? I have noticed that 23andme does not cover these genetic disorders. Is there another testing service that does?

If you run your 23&me testing through Promethese then it will show if there are genetic markers for EDS - but, it won't tell you which type you have. So, you can somewhat get an idea. There are some people on 23&me forums that have figured out which genes to look at to somewhat determine the possible areas for EDS and which ones to have a closer look on. So, it might be a starting place. I think they run the test for $99.00 sometimes and Promethese is free.

Issie

Keep in mind that some CTDs and forms of EDS do not yet have a genetic test and the diagnosis is clinical. That is why it is so important to work with a doctor that has a subspecialty in the realm of connective tissue disorders. For example, I work with Dr. Francomano, who happens to be a geneticist. Her subspecialty is EDS. You may be able to find a geneticist or even a rheumatologist.near you that has the subspecialty. I was referred to Dr. F by a rheumatologist who suspected EDS but didn't feel knowledgeable enough to make the dx. She suggested Levy or Francomano. I called both offices and Francomano could see me sooner (of course even that was a 10 month wait.) I have found that asking one of my current docs that I trust the following question has gotten me in the right docs hands in the last few years, "If it were you or you wife/husband, who would you go to?"

Good advice Katy. The doc that DX'd me with EDS was at Mayo, AZ and it takes a special doc very familiar in what he sees to be able to know what he is looking at. But, I did find with my 23&me, that it reassured me to see that the genetics were showing and confirming what he had said. None of the docs I saw at Mayo thought that I had Vascular type and since there is very little that can be done about EDS any way --after talking in depth to a geneticist there - we decided to not go further with testing. It was enough for me to know that this was "thought" to be the problem and I didn't need to spend all that money and have the definitive test ---since like you said HEDS has no genetic testing available any way.

Issie