Guanfacine Versus Clonidine?

My psychiatrist today suggested I talk with my neurologist about guanfacine, a more selective alpha agonist than clonidine (an alpha-2A agonist instead of just an alpha agonist like clonidine). She says it might have fewer side effects, since it's more selective. I know that one person here has used it, but had to stop due to side effects. Does anyone here have thoughts or experience, or any insight? Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Welp, I've been on guanfacine for about 2 months now, so figured I should answer my own post in case it's helpful to others. It took a few weeks for me to ease off the clonidine - I got some rebound hypertension during the transition, so we briefly upped my guanfacine to compensate, then took it down again. Guanfacine has generally been good - my insurance doesn't cover it, but it's pretty cheap (about the same as the copay would be for a month's supply, about $8). I even did some statistics last night (since I keep records) - here are the results that were statistically significant! Guanfacine does seem to worsen my heat tolerance and nausea somewhat compared with clonidine, and I do report more other symptoms. On the other hand, I am less fatigued, and also have fewer issues of microsleeps (nodding off in the middle of the day while not trying to nap), both things that were worsened by clonidine. I also dream more - back to my pre-clonidine dream amount - which I hadn't even realized the clonidine had decreased!

There are a few good papers out there about the comparison, which were helpful:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1430114/ - "Differences in psychic performance with guanfacine and clonidine in normotensive subjects"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6994771 - "Central effects of guanfacine and clonidine during wakefulness and sleep in healthy subjects"