Natural Supplements Used For Pain Relief For Neuropathy

My son has not officially been diagnoised with neuropathy. However, our cardiologist believes he is most likely suffering with it. My son has always complained of pain in his lower back and hips. He has been tried on gabapentin, lyrica, and cymbalta. None of these have provided any relief in the past. Our cardioloist has told me this can be very hard to treat. My son also has non-existent serotinon and dopamine levels according to blood test. So our cardiologist has raised another medicine to see if we can get the serotinon to come up. My son is taking fish oil and started using coconut oil in March. Our cardioloist is aware of this and has told us to keep this up. He is very open to supplements as long as they do not interfere with other medicines. Thankful to have a doctor that cares and will call our home to check on his patient. Just wondering what other natural supplements might help with neuropathy. Any suggestions?

Turmeric/Ginger works great for pain relief - better than a number of other conventional items that I've tried. There are others here using it as well, with success.

On the non-existent serotonin / dopamine levels - has your son ever done genetic testing? There is a co-factor called BH4 that is necessary for the production of these neurotransmitters. Certain genetic mutations can result in low levels of BH4 (most commonly, MTHFR A1298C, which is responsible for recycling of this important factor). 23andMe can provide a number of insights, but your doctor can also run the specific MTHFR gene blood test for the results for two of the most problematic genes.

Hope this helps!

Another supplement that has great reviews for neuropathy is Alpha Lipoic Acid. But, if there are issues with sulfates - this might not work so well. There is another gene CBS that if there is a mutation on this, the sulphur type foods and sulfate type meds/supplements may make that person worse. This too can be figured out with 23&me testing. Yes, turmeric and ginger are my friends too. :)

The idea of gene mutations and methylation pathway dysfunction is controversial. But, those that are using the information available seem to be feeling better. A person has to start out very low dose and very slow. Here is a site that explains this a little more.

http://www.dramyyasko.com/resources/autism-pathways-to-recovery/chapter-6/

Issie

Thanks for starting this! I was thinking of asking a similar question. My topical cream is basically just an expensive lotion for all the better it works. I am really reluctant to start any other meds. I see my neurologist again in May, I will definitely talk to him about the alpha lipoic acid. Issie - may I ask what kind of dose do you use for it?

He has tried the tramadol but it made his headache worse and caused his vocal tic to come back full blown. I will talk to our neurologist about the testing. Keep the suggestions coming. You guys are awesome and so helpful.

Zap, how do you use the ginger and turmeric? Do you sprinke it in your foods or make a tea?

Issie, I will check out the alpha lipid acid with our doctor.

There is a topical homeopathic cream and/or gel named Traumeel. I don't know if it will specifically help neuropathy but it really does give temporary relief from many types of pain and inflammation. My mom and I both use it. It was introduced to me by a message therapist . I often use it when my joint pain (which I now know is from EDS) will not allow me to get to sleep. Traumeel also comes in oral sublingual form. I took this when I slipped a disc in my lumbar spine that was contacting my sciatic nerve and it helped quite a bit. The oral and topical contain a list of homeopathics too long to list but if you Google Traumeel, you can find several outlets "to buy it.

Regarding turmeric, it is much more beneficial to take turmeric in a supplement that also contains pepper. The pepper is supposed to make the tumeric more readily available for your body to use. (Lyme doc had me on this for a while.)