New Symptom -- Red Hands From Wrist Down

looneymom

At first I thought this was a circulation problem when it first started. However, after supper last night, my son's hands turned bright red. A rash appeared on his arms and just kept creeping toward his neck. His face was also flushed. This has been happening off and on since he has had the flu. Last night, it appeared more suddenly and came on really quickly. His fingers were puffy but no more than usual. Just wondering if this could be a reaction from too much iron in his body. His iron levels are on the high side. He also takes Deplin. Has anyone experience this type of symptom? If so what caused yours? I have contacted his doctor about this symptom but have not heard back.

I often get rashes when I have the flu. I also get red, mottl ed hands when I have a lot of vasodilation. I thought it was a rash at first but it is really pooling. I also get a rash in the shower (hot or cold) that starts on my chest and crawls up my neck and onto my cheeks. It feels like its radiating heat. We believe this is a mast cell reaction to the water hitting my skin since temperature and use of products don't affect the outcome.

He just had his iron tested and his ferritin was at 74.This is not out of range ( test range 10-105) but his iron has never been this high before. However his iron binding compacity had dropped 80 points. It wasn't out of range but it is something the doctor is going to be keeping an eye on. He has been on iron supplements for over a year because he was very anemic.

Katybug, I wondered about the pooling. My son has been working on trying to sit up longer in a regular chair instead of sitting in a recliner with his feet up. He finally is able to sit up 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. However after he sits up like this, he always hurts more and many times his legs are purple and blotchy. I wonder if this is what's happening in his hands because he is sitting up right more. Thanks for your reply.