Any One Else Have High Cholesterol And Or Low Thyroid?

Gerrik1

Been talking with other POTSies on FB and a few of us have noticed that we all have uncontrolablr High Cholesterol and Low Thryoid and are wondering if it is related to our POTS. I have had High Cholesterol since my 20's and it got worse in my 40's 2-3 meds a day and the numbers still not were they should be. Thyroid noticed low 4 years ago. And POTS diagnosis at 41 years old, 11 years ago. But I have always have had a low B/P since I was a child.

What about others of you out there? Any Cholesterol or Thyroid troubles? Do you think they are POTS realated?

That would be a yes. My endo after we found out I had hashi with a normal tsh, told me that high cholesterol is a sign that the thyroid is not working right. It also effects all the autonomic functions and endocrine balancing. I have more going on then just thyroid. I turned out to be low free t3 and am now on synthroid and t3. Cause of my autoimmune issues she did not want to do armour.

My facial and neck swelling has come down. I've lost more weight and my hair loss hair and skin that got really dry before we realized that my t3 was low to, have improved. I will be getting a new lipid panel next week and I expect it will have improved.

I was unable to take the zocors. I also have the hyper type of pots with the high bp on standing with a rise in norepi. I also have high insulin and pcos as a result of that.

There was a couple of recent posts about thyroid, if you want to read what was posted you can check my posts and topics on my forum page.

• 5 months later...

I have a moderately high cholesterol. Its not bad enough for meds, but the crazy thing is that it has not changed(at all) in years. I think it is effected by pots. I am waiting for test results which were done recently. I'm curious to find out if its still 212.

I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. That started about 4-5 years ago. Dysautonomia diagnosis this year. No one has ever bothered to check my cholesterol levels, maybe assuming b/c i'm not overweight they would be fine?

I have high cholesterol and a bad ratio of good/bad cholesterol so am now on statins. According to Dr. Cheney, this can be a sign of oxidative stress and related to all of this stuff we have going on, which makes sense to me as none of my siblings (who are all older and heavier than I am) have bad cholesterol. I definitely think it's related as my numbers were good before I became ill.

My endo gave me a Hashi diagnosis, although my TSH etc remain normal but on ultrasound the thyroid has Hashi characteristics and I have anti TPO antibodies etc. He thinks that since my POTS is considered to be auto immune (most likely) and I have other (presumed) autoimmune issues that this is just one more that is in early stages.

AshleyPooh,

Hi. I'm not overweight either, I rarely have fried food. I was even able to exercise at the time my first tests showed high cholesterol, as a matter of fact,it was the first tests that I ever had to be abnormal, and this was years ago.