6 Am Symptoms- Anyone Else?

LMG

Like clock work, the headache happened again this morning so I raised my head onto 2 pillows and within 5 min., headache gone! (isn't that weird?) I was too tired/lazy to reach for the ice pak and quickly fell back asleep. Bad move... I woke with a kink in my neck (unstable cervical vertebrae) and a different kind of headache was now starting, from my neck/traps area. Used the ice pak for 10 min. and then rubbed some Voltaren on and popped 2 ibuprofin. Thank God, that did it and i didn't have a migraine today. Honestly, my life is full of migraines so this newest morning routine has been a sanity saver so far. It likely won't work every ime, but if I take care of the pain with these measures, IN TIME, it usually helps me get through at least 1/2 the day headache free, longer if I'm real fortunate.!

I didn't get out for to look at the wedges yet but if I do buy one, I'll report back on how its working out for me. I'm hoping the angle won't have me too high.

Charlotte,

I hope you are able to find a wedge that works for you. I bought one for my son 12 years ago because he was a little guy (preemie) with nasty reflux issues and it was dangerous for him to be flat (we found out the hard way). Anyway, I bought an adult one because they had nothing for infants, and I found it almost impossible to get comfortable sleeping on it. I couldn't sleep on it without a pillow, but putting a pillow on top of it made my neck really uncomfortable. They probably have more options now for comfort, but you may want to look at a few options before buying or perhaps look up some reviews. It seems like the standard ones would be best suited for someone who sleeps comfortably on their back, but it might just take some getting used to. I'll be curious to hear if you find a good one - hopefully you will! For now, I'm just propping with pillows, too.

@LMG and AllAboutPeace and anyone else interested in the bed wedge- I'm back to report of my findings with the wedge.

Definitely, having my head elevated allows me to wake up without a headache! I know that for sure now! But, as was posted, the wedge is not comfortable, or at least the one I had purchased (they also had memory foam wedges but I wouldn't be able to return those) I had a hard time staying on it all night so then I tried using it only at the start of the night and tossed it when too uncomfortable, but got a morning headache those times. Then I began using it the times I had awoke to pee in the early morning. Because I was still tired, I was able to fall back asleep and did not wake up to a headache! But since I don't wake to pee every night, the headache relief was inconsistent - I prefer to sleep through the night if possible rather than setting an alarm to set up the wedge.

In the past, propping up my head and shoulders with bed pillows has been bad for me, for causing pain in the neck and shoulders and sometimes even caused a headache. I thought though that I'd give it another chance. So for a few nights I did that. Results were inconsistent. Sometimes headache, sometimes not but always neck/shoulder pain so that is out for me.

Yesterday we raised the head of the bed 6" again to see if that will help,although I always slip down the bed scrunching up the skin on my back - hurts my spine. My husband doesn't see how I can be slipping but I feel it..even if its minutely, my loose ligaments don't like it. Last nightI had taken extra meds to fight a migraine so waking up without a headache this morning may be more b/c of the Maxalt than the bed being raised. I'll try that a bit longer.

I totally understand the dilemma of the Princess and the Pea!" :mellow:

To be fair in giving you the results of the 'test', it has to be mentioned that I have issues with a thoracic scoliosis, and both cervical spine and SI joint instability, I didn't sleep well with the wedge but if you don't have those issues, it could work for those that feel that the daily morning headaches and unwell feeling are due to blood flow. You will have to see if you find it too uncomfortable. The health store I was at offered various sizes and comfort fabrics. I chose the smallest incline (7 ") and kept the bag on it so that it could be returned. It cost about $70.00

Laying in a reclined positon helps with my chronic nasal congestion as well. As for the pain, I'm hoping my Lyrica will kick in soon and help my pain issues.

Wishing the best to you all in your efforts to gain better health.

Charlotte

Charlotte,

PLease keep us posted or PM me with any news, thoughts etc. POTS is bad enough but the migraine element is just so hard to deal with. I am sure I would have difficulty sleeping on the wedge but like your idea of using it when I am up in mid of night to use bathroom etc and quick to fall back asleep.

Would like your observations on raising the bed. I have mine elevated and wonder if it doesn't take blood away from brain. I lowered it a bit a few months back...didn't notice much but it stopped that slipping thing you described. So my bed is about 4-5 inches up now.

Thanks and hoping you will be headache free!!!!

Lauren