Cat Scan Angiogram (Contrast?)

Darlene

i have had difficulty breathing for quite some time. i have bronchitis now... breathing machine helps. anyway, the dr. did a d dimer blood test, and it came back elevated. she wants me to get a ct angiogram. i said the only way i will do it is if they use non iodine based contrast. she asked if i reacted to it before, i said "no, but i have mcad, and don't want to taking any chances". she is suppose to call me back with an appt. i wonder what causes the d dimer to be elevated? has anyone ever had a ct scan angiogram? did you react to the non iodine based contrast?

I have had a Ct Angiogram because of a elevated D dimer. I was having shortness of breath after a sugery. The D dimer is a protein that is put off after a blood clot. It can be caused by other things so it doesn't always mean it is a blood clot. They were looking for a pulmonary embolism on me. It was negative.

I did not react to the dye,but I don't have MCAS. I know the test was really fast and painless. Hope it goes well for you.

I've also had a ct angiogram due to elevated d dimer. I was already diagnosed with POTS but had bad chest pain one day. I've had two CTs with contrast and was extremely nervous but did not have a reaction. They didn't find anything either time. I suspect I have MCAS but have not been diagnosed. I normally don't have bad reactions to medications but I do have problems with anesthesia. It can take a long time for me to fall asleep from it, even though I can't feel anything. I hope it goes well for you. I made sure they were prepared in case of a reaction but with some meditation it went well. It gave me a very strange warm feeling and felt like I was urinating even though I wasn't. Apparently those reactions are normal as they warned me about it in advance! I would say the warming sensation went away within five minutes. After, i made sure to drink a lot of water to flush my system. Good luck to you!

I have mcas and had a CT angiogram last Friday using the regular iodine based contrast and I was fine. I do get tightness in my chest related to mcas reactions and that did not happen with the contrast. I did have 3 ct's with contrast back in 2009 due to emergency kidney stone issues and had no reactions back then either. My CT angiogram was to view the blood flow through my neck and head to check for any flow abnormalities as my EDS geneticist is concerned about the swelling/drooping in my face associated with my migraines. I had the procedure at Hopkins this time and they were extremely careful regarding checking for and preventing anaphylacti reactions. They had a nurse call me the week before the procedure to ask if I've ever had rxs to dye, then 3 people at 3 separate times went over my allergies and mcas issues before the procedure. They also did a small release of contrast into my vein as a test before releasing a full dose for the test. They waited 5 minutes between the test dose and full dose to see if I was going to have any acute reaction. They of course then went over all the things to look for after and what to do. I already carry an epi-pen with me so they were glad to hear that. But it was all OK in the end. :-)

well, they couldn't do the test. both contrast dyes contain iodine. they are going to do a nuclear scan(whatever that means). he said you have to inhale something. its tomorrow at 11. he said if i had difficulty breathing tonight or chest pains to go to the er. i do have difficulty breathing, but i would assume from the bronchitis and asthma.

Darlene,

As you likely know already, CT contrast is a common mast cell degranulator, so the mast cell docs recommend premedication.

In case you ever need a CT in the future, you may want to send a PM to Ana, she also has MCAS and had a MAJOR anaphylactic reaction to CT contrast. I know she has done tons of reseach on contrast and MCAS.

So you ended up with a Nuc Med V/Q Lung scan? How did it go?

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

they didn't do the cat scan, instead they did a nuclear scan. i had to inhale the radioactive substance into my lungs, and they took pics. then they gave me an injection with the radioactive material and took more pics. the lady that did my scan said she has never seen anyone react to the injection. i did fine, no side effects. if some of you are allergic to the contrast dye they use in cat scans, instead of using pre medication... hows come you just don't get the nuclear scan instead?

Hi Darlene,

I am glad to hear your procedure went well and that you did not react.

The Nuc Med V/Q study you had done is primarily performed to look for blood clots in the lungs. This study has been around for nearly 3 decades. In recent years, improved imaging capabilites of CT scanners have made the CT scan a viable option looking for blood clots in the lungs. Since CT scanners are manned 24/7, it is often more conventient and less expensive on call payroll to just have the patient have a CT scan than to call in the Nuc Med Tech. Patients with a history of reactions to CT contrast, may likely tolerate the radioactive tracers used in the V/Q scan. I've read that Dr Castells has recommended that patients premedicate for any imaging procedure, no matter if contrast is administered or not. But it is the call of the ordering physician.

As Ana has often shared, there are numerous imaging procedures to investigate any number of concerns, and short of looking for an erupting aneurysm, there are multiple imaging options available that do not require contrast media. Don't be afraid to ask your doc about those options. If your doc doesn't know the available options, have them consult a radiologist. There are other imaging modalities to consider: CT without contrast, ultrasound, MRI, nuclear medicine, x ray, echo and others.

Best wishes,

Lyn