Sister Getting Married...missing Out On A Lot

jkoconne

Hi all,

So my sister is getting married! Im so excited and happy for her, I love her boyfriend too! The bummer is she lives in north cali and im in AZ. Traveling is getting harder and harder for me...If i do travel I get symptomatic on the flight, and only last about 2 days on the trip then crash. Im always set back when i get home. Im in school so i cant afford to have flare up. Ive missed out on so much becasue of it and its REALLY hard. I missed out on the engagement party, a planning weekend and bridesmaid dress shopping. All these events had my mom, other sister and some of the bridesmaids there :( My family understands its not by choice im not coming but that doesnt make it any easier.

They try to keep me updates with pics/texts/calls which it bitter sweet! I like that they are trying to keep me involved but at the same time is hard to not be there and see how fun it is. I did get to go to the weekend she bought her wedding dress which was great! I plan on going to the bridal shower and girls weekend and the wedding! but its hard missing out on the small things/trips too...Im just a little upset over the whole thing. But its just one of the struggles POTS comes with. Choosing what is worth feeling bad for...i just wish i could do it all!!

Thanks for listening to me vent! Anyone been through something similar?

HUGS ... I get it ... That's great that you'll be able to make it for the wedding, etc ..

I've missed out on a lot of family functions and no matter how many times it has happened over the years it never got any easier.

Like you, I just keep reminding myself of all the good times.

I had a couple of ideas on travelling that might help you not get symptomatic on the flight. And maybe you wouldn't crash after you got there if you didn't get sick on the flight. Taking precautions is helping me travel.

Some of us are finding that we have mast cell problems and that the smells, etc on planes affect us. So taking an antihistamine or two might help.

And if you're not already, some of us use the wheelchair service to avoid standing or using up any more of our energy than we have to. I find that my stress level is minimized this way.

I also always ask to have the seat next to me empty if possible. That way I can put my feet up on it. The airlines has done this for me on several occasions free of charge ... :)

And be sure to bring real food with you, not just snacks. Travelling takes extra energy so we need the nutrients .. hth ... D

Hi!

Thank you for the advice! I dont do the wheel chair but i think i will now! It could help, especially after the flight when i feel symptomatic.

I do all of the rest! i also wear thigh high commpression and make sure im extremely hydrated...being hydrated means using the airplane bathroom alot :( but hey thats better then feeling worse i guess lol

I agree that even with time it doesnt get easier...but im trying to stay positvie about the things i can go to!

Thanks again :)