Spent The Day In The Er

Tobiano

So sorry. All I can say is hang in there. Everyone has up and down days. I learned a long time ago with my son that going to the er just is not very helpful. Doctors that don't know anything abot POTS, just usually send you on home without much helpful advice. Drink your fluids, take your salt and try to change body positions if your body can tolerate it. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Hi Altruism,

How are you doing?

I'm not 100% sure. I was able to access the following article on my iphone from the ER. I didn't have time to read it fully because I was still a little loopy. Here is the table. Looks like they compare it to a baseline? Honestly I'm not sure - my instinct was just to ask them to take it. Does anyone else have experience with this??

From: Akin, C., Valent, P., & Metcalfe, D. (2010). Mast cell activation syndrome: Proposed diagnostic criteria. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 126 (6), pg. 1099-1104.

"TABLE II. Proposed criteria for the diagnosis of MCAS*

1. Episodic symptoms consistent with mast cell mediator release affecting >2 organ systems evidenced as follows:

a. Skin: urticaria, angioedema, flushing

b. Gastrointestinal: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping

c. Cardiovascular: hypotensive syncope or near syncope, tachycardia

d. Respiratory: wheezing

e. Naso-ocular: conjunctival injection, pruritus, nasal stuffiness

2. A decrease in the frequency or severity or resolution of symptoms with antimediator therapy: H1- and H2-histamine receptor inverse agonists,

antileukotriene medications (cysteinyl leukotriene receptor blockers or 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor), or mast cell stabilizers (cromolyn sodium)

3. Evidence of an increase in a validated urinary or serum marker of mast cell activation: documentation of an increase of the marker to greater than the patient’s baseline value during a symptomatic period on >2 occasions or, if baseline tryptase levels are persistently >15 ng, documentation of an increase of the tryptase level above baseline value on 1 occasion. Total serum tryptase level is recommended as the marker of choice; less specific (also from basophils) are 24-hour urine histamine metabolites or PGD2 or its metabolite 11-b-prostaglandin F2.

4. Rule out primary and secondary causes of mast cell activation and well-defined clinical idiopathic entities in Table I."