Advice Please!

Hoshistorm

Does anyone else have the trouble of not having insurance? The worst part is paying for meds. I have found for all of my meds except florinef. Does anyone know where I can get florinef without paying an arm and a leg?

Thank you!

Hoshistorm,

I am not sure why you don't have insurance but I just recently found out an interesting and helpful tidbit that I think most people don't know. EVERY U.S. state is required to offer a group health plan for people that can not get individual coverage or can't get it at a reasonable price. There are several ways to qualify. It is not medical assistance. It is group coverage and you have to pay a premium just like you would to have individual coverage. Things like being denied private individual coverage in the last 6 months or losing your COBRA coverage as well as certain diagnoses can qualify you. In MD, it is called the Maryland Health Insurance Plan and is administered by CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield. Each state should have its own website for this insurance. In MD, the site is www.marylandhealthinsuranceplan.state.md.us . Even if you live in another state, you may want to take a look at this site to see what you are looking for in your state. I stumbled upon this by myself and have no idea why NONE of my doctor's were aware of this option when I told them in the last few months that my COBRA was ending and I was being denied private coverage because of my diagnoses. I will be educating them about the existance of this insurance and I hope they will pass it on to others in need.

I hope that this information is helpful to you or someone else.

Katie

I dont have insurance...its awful. I check my meds at every pharmacy before I fill it. Some u can find on a low cost plan at places like walmart, walgreens and kmart. I get my florinef generic (fludrocortisone) at rite aid for $27 i think, by far the cheepest around. The next cheapest was Kmart for 50. ALso I havent done this yet, but if you go to the manufacturer of the meds website there is forms u can fill out and mail in or fax I asusme, and get free or discounted meds, sometimes vouchers. They do this in an incentive to get tax credits from the government. Check it out, it may help u (Im not sure who makes florinef, but I know merck and glaxo-smith and kline do this for sure)

I get my meds at CVS and sometimes I have to pay for them out of pocket so the pharmacist put me on some kind of prescription plan and now whenever I have to pay for them I get them up to half off. I don't know what it is called or what made me qualify for it, they didn't explain it at all, they just put me on it, but it is worth asking about. Price checking is good too, I did this before they cut my costs at CVS and found that walmart offered significantly lower prices on some meds, but not all.