Suppine Heart Rate Not Going Down, Although Bp Drops

Angela

I was going thru old posts to see if I could find any info on this but was taking awhile so thought I'd start new post. I have been more tachy for the past week and a half and contributed it to aunt flow last week and extra stress. no change in my meds, just klonopin as needed and h1's and h2's. Last night, my hr wouldn't go below 120 - 130 even after laying down flat for 3 hours. Yet, my usually high bp upon standing dropped to low 100's over 60 suppine (sometimes at night it goes lower but so does my heart rate). i'm sure someone else experiances this and was wondering if there was some explanation they might have to offer as to why my hr wasn't going down although bp was suppine? I was'nt dehydrated, I checked my nails and my urine was clear as I had been drinking plenty of water. The only other weird side effect I experianced was this roaring shaking type sensation I felt in my ears/head which was going on during the day, although I didn't feel particularly bad otherwise, that sensation is really hard to describe and hasn't happened to me for awhile. This morning, after the first hour of tachy and higher bp when standing it is now 147/85 hr 105 sitting.....this is more normal for me, a little high as usually this time in the day I am more in normal bp range sitting and hr around 90-s to 100 sitting.

?

Hi Angela,

so sorry you're dealing with this as I know how frustrating it can be.

I've had countless such episodes where my HR would go into 130's, 140's even 160's and stay there for hours despite taking my meds (beta-blocker, florinef, klonopin, etc), despite keeping hydrated, despite practicing deep breathing, despite ... Another thing - I've seen no correlation between my BP and my HR during these episodes, but I usually have low BP (regardless of whether I am standing or laying down).

When I first started having this problem it almost exclusively happened at rest, at night - this was before being told I have POTS. Back then I'd go to the ER but I'd get the typical answers - 'you're having a panic attack', 'you're wasting our time', 'it's all in your head' 'don't come back unless you faint or something', and so on.

I don't have an answer for you, my dr doesn't have an answer for me other than 'it's POTS' but I find it strange that most my tachy episodes happen while I'm supine rather than when changing positions from horizontal to vertical. I've had tons of tests but none of those tests revealed anything.

The head sensation you are describing doesn't sound familiar to me, but I do experience sometimes a sort of a rush of blood to my neck and head during such an episode. This usually subsides fast but I am left with the tachycardia.

Did you have a chance to talk to your dr about this? Maybe s/he can offer some insight.

Alex

the head noise sensation came during the day, when I was up and trying to stay active, although I didn't feel so horrible or fatigued otherwise...it wasn't when laying down with the hr still going. last year with my major pots flare I didn't get that sensation....(I did in 2011 early spring but didn't know I had pots, and about 5 yrs before same sensation, more like a ripping noise inside my head) but last night with the high heart rate not compensated by laying down came later, around 7:00 p.m. when I was trying to relax, prep for work in the a.m. and get my son asleep. I was watching a game show on tv, nothing to absurd and had eaten good dinner and had plenty of fluid yesterday... i couldn't sleep tho cause I felt my pulse going but knew something (bp) wasn't compensating as usual). I don't think my neuro would have an explanation. I can't really think of why to go on a bb when my bp drops drastically suppine, I think that would cause me more anxiety at best, (although dx'd hyperpots) so I am just confused. already had my blood volume tested, that came back normal. same as catecholamines which I have had tested 2 x and came back normal. same as sweat test, although last night I woke up drenched...icky.