Vasovagal Syncope / "seizure Like" Activity With Blood Draw

Dizzysillyak

Hi All,

Is anyone else doing this ? What have you found that helps ?

I've been having seizure like activity with blood draws and IV insertion in the last couple of years while laying down. I used to just get nervous and feel faint. This looks like it explains why.

My seizure like activity can be a mild petite mal ( just need to be quiet for a few minutes), shaking internally or full blown myoclonic movements. The latter two require Klonopin to get these to stop. I don't faint but I do have to go to the bathroom afterwards.

Is this just part of POTS ? I have a left bundle branch block too tho.

tx ... d

http://www.nymc.edu/...gal syncope.htm

http://www.dinet.org/NCS/ncs.htm

W

What are the symptoms of NCS?

Neurocardiogenic fainting usually occurs while standing. Emotional stress, stressful condition and pain may trigger an episode, especially among the young (Shah, Gupta & Lokhandwala, 2003). The onset may be abrupt or associated with warning symptoms such as fatigue, weakness, nausea, sweating, pallor, visual disturbances, abdominal discomfort, headache, pins-and-needles, lightheadedness or vertigo (Deering, 2003). Presyncopal patients may also complain of palpitations, vomiting, disorientation, and difficulty speaking clearly or coherently (Grubb & McMann, 2001, p. 60.). Other symptoms that may present before a faint include feeling either warm or cold, tremors, yawning and having a bluish/purple or red coloring to the skin (Alboni, Brignole, Menozzi, Raviele, Del Rosso, Dinelli, Solano & Bottoni, 2001).

During the faint "seizure-like" activity may occur (Grubb, Gerard & Roush, 1991). This convulsive activity is thought to be distinct from a seizure disorder.

Patients are sometimes symptomatic after a faint as well. Patients may complain of symptoms including nausea, clamminess, lightheadedness, headache and malaise (Deering, 2003). Patients may also experience vomiting, abdominal discomfort, weakness, tremors, cold or warm feelings and confusion (Alboni et al., 2001). Patients who experience frequent neurocardiogenic syncope may report symptoms between faints as well, such as chronic fatigue, headache, chest pain, exercise intolerance, heart "flip flops" and an inability to tolerate prolonged standing.

For what it's worth.....when BP drops suddenly, as in "fainting" - the brain is deprived of enough blood flow to maintain consciousness - the brain is also deprived briefly of oxygen. The lack of oxygen to the brain causes seizure-like activity. It only lasts for a few moments then quickly passes. This also occurs when a patient experiences a lethal heart rhythm (ventricular fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia) - these abrupt cessations of blood flow to the brain look very much like someone has a seizure disorder but, in reality, that is not the case. Of course, your physician should advise you about possible seizures - I'm just relating what I have seen after 30+ years working as an ER nurse........

Thanks E. I get what you're saying but I'm not sure where that leaves me. Maybe it's not an orthostatic intolerance problem. This just happened to me at the ER Saturday and they were surprised when it didn't stop. Me too ...

Two of my seizure like activities don't stop on their own but I rarely ever have these. I'm thinking my problem during those draws and IVs was that my blood glucose was too low. I'm certainly not looking forward to my next blood draw tho. tc. d

Dizzy,

I don't have this symptom (knock on wood) and just wanted to say that I am so sorry you do. It must be a terribly scary symptom!

As the possibility of low blood suger goes, could you load up on regular Gatorade? I have to drink a full 32 oz. bottle during the hour prior to my draws for blood sugar issues and for them to find a vein these days. It might help all the way around...salt, fluid, and sugar. Hope you get it worked out.

Thanks Katybug. The first time I had this it was scarey but now that I know Klonopin stops it, I'm not so worried. KOW. I carry Klonopin with me all the time.

Good tip on making sure I'm well hydrated and my blood glucose isn't too low. During my last experience I couldn't eat or drink without being in pain or nauseas so there wasn't much I could do. I'm definitely avoiding fasting blood draws from now on tho.

From what I've read my seizure like experience lasts longer than the expected vasovagal response. The trigger still looks vasovagal tho.

tc ... d