Does Tamiflu Make Pots Symptoms Worse?

looneymom

My son has the flu and he started on Tamiflu late this afternoon. His POTS symptoms were really bad this morning and I really don't want my son to go back down to being bedridden again. Any tips on how to survive the flu with POTS would be appreciated.

Sorry your son is sick! It's really horrible to be sick on top of sick. :( I'm not sure I have any special tips for you- but I can tell you what my experiences being sick have been like.

I don't know if Tamiflu makes POTS symptoms worse- but I sure know that having the flu itself does! My symptoms were so awful when I had the flu I ended up being admitted into the hospital and kept on IV fluids for a few days until my vitals were more controlled.

Generally speaking my POTS symptoms get significantly worse whenever I'm sick. and because of that everything seems to hit me harder than it hits the people around me who've caught the same thing. Whenever I've been sick, just sitting my heart rate will be in the 120-150 bpm range. And I don't know why, but even if I'm not loosing excessive fluid to being sick it's still seems impossible to stay hydrated enough. Every time I've had anything more than a very minor cold (even including strep throat) I've ended up in the ER with a very high HR needing fluids. The IV will usually make me feel significantly better for a little while.

Because it's such a pain to go to the ER I used to wait too long before going. Plus, it seemed silly to go for something that had the rest of the people in my house sick and miserable but not in need of the hospital. But waiting until I felt beyond horrible to go would end up making me much worse in the long run than if I'd gone earlier. So now I've learned to accept that my body doesn't handle things the same way as other people's might and go if I feel I need to. I just keep a close eye on my vitals, pay attention to how I feel, and get over to the ER at the first signs of needing extra fluids.

After that it's just down to resting and not expecting to go right back to the physical level I was at before being sick. It usually takes me a long time to slowly get myself back to where I was before.

Hope your son feels better soon! :)

Interesting article. Wondering when they will release it to the public.