My Brain Forgot How To Breath

Sheila1366

had a terrible spell Sat. night. Felt the urge to take a deep breath, then over and over then my breathing slow down to nearly stopping. This went on for 30 minutes or more. Finally I was able to get it under some kind of control that I was able to get in bed. I was out of it for awhile. And very afraid to sleep. My breathing was so shallow. I have had trouble breathing before when I am real sick with my gastroparesis. Have often felt I would stop breathing.The next day I slept alot. And even now I will get that feeling to take a deep breath but I try and relax when it happens. Is this what is called "air hunger"?I go to Vandy jan. 24th. My dr.'s think I either have PAF or MSA. I know with both of those breathing is a real issue.I pray it doesn't happen again. I didn't go to the ER cause my daughter is still very sick and we can't have me in the hospital ontop of her being so sick. I prayed it would stop and it finally did. Just pray it doesn't happen again.

I'm so sorry to hear about your rough night. Hope you get some answers soon and hope your daughter is feeling better.

Yes, I know this symptom well and wish neither of us had it. Actually lots here struggle with this. It is by far my most worrisome symptom and seems for me to be connected with overstimulation of my CNS. When it is bad, it instinctively makes me think about going to the ER- yet I know, since I've had this symptom w a pulse odometer on, the ER team would do nothing for me. Perhaps one day we'll figure out a way to measure oxygen in the brain.

What I understand is happening is that I'm having a loss of cerebral blood flow that is not life threatening (it gets the blood it needs, not as much as it wants). This feeling puts me lying down flat in bed. Even though sometimes lying down feels harder. It does eventually help w the symptom because gravity is helping the blood flow. When bad, like your episode Sat, I notice my sympathetic nervous system seems so wound up it is hard to relax. A massage, warm compress around the neck or a good cry helps. Sometimes I can't do anything to control it- other times the relax techniques help some.

Im so sorry to hear this happened :( I rarely get this but sometimes I have to stop and take a few deep breaths to feel "better" abou t my breathing...its hard not to get anxious in those times. Im so happy it stoped. Ill pray it doesnt happen again for you!

You're so good at being strong for your girls! :) Im sure you're an amazing mom!

Make sure to take good care of yourself too ;)

Hugs