Compression Stockings

Joann

Me again. I checked the old posts and didn't see what I was questioning.

So.

I went today to pick up my compression stockings. They have a person fit them with you. I put one on and before I even got the second one on I was feeling bad. I put the other one on and stood up. The person there asked how they felt. I told him I wasn't feeling very good.

He said some people have trouble with them and takes a while to get used to. I asked what kind of trouble and he said they bother their legs.

Well my legs felt fine, but my head was getting that full pressure feeling and under my sternum and neck were tightening. I was overall feeling like my upper body was tightening. Even my arms felt like there was fire coursing through them, ( I don't know how else to explain it). I told the guy I was going to take my blood pressure.

My blood pressure was 150/96 and heart rate 110. I waited and took it again and it errored on me twice. Earlier that morning it was 119/84 heart rate 88, standing. I know the blood pressure isn't terrible but for me when my blood pressure goes into 130's or diastolic in high 90's or above, I begin to feel as if I am having a heart attack. I also feel bad when my heart rate hits the hundreds. Of course, back when I was exercising and healthy I am sure it was higher but I didn't feel it. Now I feel it. My blood pressure has been staying pretty consistent on the blood pressure medicines. I took the stockings off and by the time I got home, my bp was going down, and I was shaking/like I was cold but I wasn't. I sat for a while and then got up and walked the block three times, which then dropped it.

Has anyone had problem with the compression stockings making your symptoms worse? I have a call in to the doctor. I did not buy them. Since insurance will not cover, and they arer $149.00! If they were less I would buy them and experiement with them, but after that experience I do not want to waste $149.00.

Does this make sense, I wonder if there could be something wrong with my leg? I am having these problems when I bend, try stairs, get up in the morning, and in the past when I would be on my knees (kneeling playing a game with the kids, or putting clothes away,etc), and going into the water at the beach was terrible. Now the compression socks. Any ideas? I have a feeling the doctor is just going to think I am nuts and that anxiety and my mind is doing this. I know it is not.

I have had a prob with stockings but not the same symptoms- I get severe parathesias in my legs if I have them on for any length of time.

I have had success with the abdominal binder and basically don't leave my house without it on. I use the super duper strength spanx: shaping mid thigh body suit. Without it I get symptomatic when upright.

I have not had any issues like this with compression socks, but perhaps they were too tight? There are different degrees of compression - 15-20, 20-30, and 30-40 I think. So you could start with a low level of compression, and work your way up if you want. If you go on amazon, they are a lot cheaper. I got mine from there (jobst brand, which is medical grade) for $25. Good luck!

I don't have any problems with compression stockings but, I don't buy the really expensive ones either....the abdominal compression garments send me into orbit - they are so uncomfortable that I can't wear them for long - probably would help the abdominal pooling tremendously but, just too miserable in them......

I had a similar sensation experience when I tried 30-40 thigh high stockings, so I took them back and got knee highs. My cardiologist said that knees highs wouldn't work for me but I can literally feel the blood in my legs getting pushed upward and maybe it's all in my head, but I think I feel a little better when I'm wearing them.

Yes. Some days I can't wear my stockings because they make me presyncopal. Other days they help me quite a bit. I can tell within 5 minutes of putting them on which it will be.

On another note, I order my compression stockings and socks from DiscountSurgical.com. They have a huge selection and much better prices than any of my local medical supply pharmacies. I found that the more expensive brands do not necessarily work better or provide more comfort. Plus I can get sport type compression socks for everyday wear from them that are only about $10 a pair and work well and feel much more normal in my walking shoes and sneakers.