hyperadrenergic: I've heard this term, but....

LindaJoy

I have ZERO anxiety with mine, don't even feel upset or bothered. I do, however, feel a little on edge in the wanting to do a million things but can't decide which thing to do first sort of way. I don't feel nervous really, just have an urge to do stuff. To me, it feels like what people call an 'adrenaline rush,' but with the added bonus of esophageal spasms and nausea. I usually have a rapid lower GI tract too. I get the shakes, flushing all over, but to an extreme amount on the face, headache with throbbing, shaking, can't stop talking (just compelled to do so, can't explain. I get this with migraine auras too), a million thoughts a minute, very high bp, rapid hr with palpitations, dizziness, insomnia that can keep me up literally for days and then I crash for about three times as long (that might be the worst for me now, not being able to sleep even though I am physically wiped), damp sweats to profuse sweating, trouble sleeping once I get to sleep, extreme thirst, sensitivity to temperatures, muscle spasms, possibly more I am forgetting. Later, I crash as does my bp and hr. My muscles feel like jelly as if I just ran a marathon and lifted heavy weights. I go from bright red to frighteningly pale. I usually have these in cycles and will go through several weeks of almost daily adrenaline release attacks or ones that could just stay for 48 hours or something. They will go away as suddenly as they came and start up again in the cycle of a bunch of them who knows when, but usually sooner rather than later. Mine definitely get worse with standing but are not always triggered by long periods of standing and I do not get them every time I stand too long, but once I am in the cycle, I have to be extra careful. I have to admit that I am aware of them since I have had them most of my life. As a student, I have learned to 'harness' these and try to write all my papers in these weeks when I am having the adrenaline surges, especially during the long nights and evenings when I cannot sleep. It is probably the only time I get a chance to feel like other 23 year-olds because I can suddenly do homework and actually stay awake during it. At the same time, these adrenaline rushes are awful, debilitating, frustrating, and extremely uncomfortable. I hate that I can't control the physical symptoms so I try to control and make the best of it by harnessing, but I still would rather feel about the same everyday. I feel like I don't have a typical 'me' day ever, just lots of different symptoms that combine at different times on top of a tired and achy body. (I am also not sad about this, just saying it like it is. I have learned to make the best of things after 8+ years). Hope that helped?

Leah

Leah, I feel like that--like every day is something different with this. I have the same symptoms every day, pretty much, but one day my tach might be the main problem, the next day it's my breathing, the next day my gastric problems, the next my bp, the next my heart rate. I feel like if I could just get the one main thing under control, I'd feel better, but then something else takes over as the main complaint.

I about lost it yesterday. I was feeling horrible to begin with, then my computer lost an entire two weeks' worth of work, and in the middle of it, I was trying to make arrangements for someone to take my mom to the hospital to get her bp checked because hers went sky high. By last night, I was a mess, and today, I feel lousy. The heat in my face won't go away. My pulse rate is 47. I can't stop peeing. I think I'll go back to bed.

Have a good weekend, everyone. God bless.

Linda

I get lots of irritability and occasional anxiety at the beginning of my symptoms. Thankfully, i think the anxiety was more because i was freaking out about my symptoms and the high adrenaline didnt help. I still get irritable if i am forced to stand beyond my limit and my hands begin to tremble.

I also got an electrode inserted into a nerve when i got my tilt table test done so they could see firstly whether i was hyper sensitive to adrenaline or was actually hyperadrenagenic - as some people might have normal norepinedrine levels upon standing or upright, but still have an overactive nervous system response according to the doc.